|Job Field||NGO / Non-profit|
Supervisor: Protection Officer
Country of Assignment: Nigeria
Regional Directorate: West Africa
Place of Assignment: Taraba
The Protection Assistant will assist in handling programmatic assessments, supporting the preparation of activity and protection reports and analysis (information collection, community consultations etc.), identifying and communicating protection concerns in his/her locations, identifying and communicating programmatic needs in targeted locations.
The Protection Assistant, under the supervision of the Protection Officer is responsible for the day to day implementation of the various protection activities in the field locations under his/her responsibility.
- Conduct regular field participatory protection assessments, using as much as possible an age, gender, and diversity approach, to fully understand protection concerns and priorities.
- Assess the resources available to the targeted displaced community to increase their own safety and protection.
- Enhance and facilitate discussion on main protection concerns and response capacity within the displaced and the host communities.
- Identify, individually advise, and assess the needs of the most vulnerable individuals, particularly women at risk, and the available response opportunities in accordance with set guidelines, plans and schedules.
- Conduct vulnerability assessment and identify cases for assistance according to pre-defined criteria.
- Refer protection cases to the Child Protection Team Leader and/or relevant agencies, including updating the database on case referral and follow up.
- Report on special needs cases and advise on type of assistance, following discussion with beneficiaries.
- Develop monthly visit plans on assessing, re-assessing, and following up cases in coordination with other (field) staff.
- Ensure dissemination of clear and reliable information on service provision and other pre-selected key topics.
- Conduct informative sessions, record feedback (comments, suggestions) and report results back to Protection Officer on issues of concern with recommended areas of intervention.
- Submit weekly and monthly activity plans, reports and recommendations for assessed persons and identified beneficiaries to the Child Protection Team Leader.
- Maintain constructive relationships with municipalities, other local government institutions, local NGO partners and other international organizations in coordination with the other team members.
- Prepare and maintain in a well-organized manner comprehensive files for each managed case, as well as keep a report of information gathered during field visits and in-house meetings.
- Conduct duties in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs.
- Conduct duties in strict accordance with JRS Code of Conduct and the principle of confidentiality.
- Make sure to spread a positive image of JRS and its activities by explaining what JRS is doing and why JRC operates in that way.
Have a University Degree (BA/Bsc) in relevant field (Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, Education, Counselling, Human Rights, or Development Studies etc.)
Experience and Qualification
- Have at least a minimum of two (2) years of progressively verifiable experience in a humanitarian organization or with displacement affected populations or significant experience as a Protection social or outreach worker.
- Proven work experience in multicultural and stressful environments.
- Adhere to JRS values and abide by the code of conduct and other policies.
- Knowledge of protection norms, principles, and activities.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English and in a local dialect.
- Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at project sites (remote / field sites) and to work during irregular working hours and in insecure environments
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Have good computer skills and mastery of MS Office tools.
- Experience writing reports and conducting research.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: [email protected] using the position as subject of email.