The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the
internationally recruited position of Postdoctoral Fellow, Cassava Breeder.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates
agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and
natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve
livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource
integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The objective of the project is to exemplify effective improvement of cassava crop production through
optimal breeding schemes, research integration, demand-led breeding goal identification, and sound
organizational structure to increase agricultural productivity and marketing in targeted areas in the DRC
and Central Africa.
The postdoctoral fellow will undertake the following tasks:
• Establish robust research designs for the planning, implementation and monitoring of cassava breeding
related projects and dissemination of the outputs.
• Support all cassava breeding activities in Sud-Kivu province specifically and generally in the DR
Congo and ensure that outputs are delivered according to the agreed work plans and harmonize with
the overall IITA cassava breeding program.
• Facilitate participatory breeding by partners and farmers and support key stakeholders in the cassava
seed sector to improve and strengthen the existing cassava seed systems in Sud-Kivu specifically and
generally in the DRC.
• Support creating and building a sustainable Integrated Cassava Seed System in DR Congo and the
Central Africa region.
• Support the Central Africa region with cassava breeding activities.
• Support planning and implementing of breeder seed and quality seed components of project activities
including multiplication of pre-basic seed, design and running on-station and on-farm demand creation
trials as well as on-station experiments to demonstrate the benefits of using clean cassava stems.
• Backstop implementation of the SAH rapid multiplication system for cassava in DR Congo.
• Track seed flows at all stages of multiplication from pre-basic, basic and commercial seed stages using
cassava seed tracker.
• Coordinate data collection, curation and analysis of all data of all cassava breeding and agronomy
trials in DRC in collaboration with the cassava data management team in Ibadan.
• Work in strong partnership with INERA and the DRC national cassava breeding program.
• Interact with members, and participate in activities, of IITA’s Biotechnology and Genetic
• Document best practices on related issues undertaken, compile technical reports, and publish results in
Thomson indexed peer reviewed journals.
• Organize public communication and dissemination undertakings.
• Collaborate closely with diverse Kalambo project management teams and technical staff at the station.
Provide support for project management, staff supervision and be prepared for long periods of field
work in the project countries.
• Support general resource mobilization at the Kalambo Station and perform any other task assigned by
the Station Head.
The candidate should have a finalised PhD in Plant Breeding or related fields.
• Demonstrated experience running all stages of a cassava breeding program including high quality
• Experience with vegetative propagation systems and production of virus free planting material.
• Proven experience organizing seed systems, outgrower networks and working seed regulatory
• Ability to work independently and in a team; pro-active attitude; good communication skills.
• Ability to deal with high workload and capacity to work under challenging (field) conditions.
• Proven track record of scientific publications in high quality scientific journals.
• Proactive, innovative and independent problem solver and excellent team player.
• Excellent communication skills, able to interact with a multi-cultural and interdisciplinary team of
scientists and development partners in layman language.
Duty Station: IITA-Kalambo, DR Congo
General information: The contract will be for an initial period of two years. IITA offers an
internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US Dollars.
Applications: Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s
background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names
and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s
current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former
place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please
complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/careers
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.