Duration: Twelve (12) months
Period: 1 November 2020 – 31 October 2021
Commonwealth Youth Sport for Development and Peace (CYSDP)
- The Commonwealth Youth Sport for Development and Peace (CYSDP) Network was established in May 2013, supported by the Commonwealth Secretariat as part of the commitment to putting young people at the center of sustainable development. The CYSDP Network is a platform for youth leaders from around the Commonwealth with expertise and interest in employing sport as a tool to contribute to development issues, commonly referred to as Sport for Development and Peace (SDP).
- The Commonwealth Youth Sport for Development and Peace (CYSDP) Network aims to be the leading youth voice in the Commonwealth promoting best practices in Sport for Development and Peace (SDP). It is a platform, through which young people using sport to create positive change in their societies can share their knowledge and practical experiences with peers from across the Commonwealth, and provide input on pertinent SDP and sport policy issues to Commonwealth leaders and decision-makers. This platform also allows young people, through engaging with decision-makers and experts, to gain insight on key issues in the policy space relevant for their work.
- CYSDP is searching for their next Coordinator to support its executive team for year 2020 – 2021. We are inviting applications from young and suitably qualified individuals who are passionate about using the SDGs and has expertise in the field of Sport for development and Peace to support its work in advocating, educating and demonstrating the power of sport as a tool to contribute to development issues.
Key Deliverables & Responsibility
- The main role of the CYSDP Coordinator is to coordinate and support the work of the Network across the Commonwealth, with a focus on the administration and implementation support of the network.
Key responsibilities include:
- Monitor the implementation of the Network’s plan of action as outlined by the steering group. Including the implementation of the communication strategy, and development of policy papers, position papers and publications.
- Provide administrative support for the group, including activity on online platforms such as Huddle; and communicating all relevant information to the Chair and Executive team.
- Support the network increase visibility and outreach by promoting the CYSDP on social media (Twitter, Facebook) and other possible online platforms in order to engage more Commonwealth youth in its planned activities. Support the Communications Focal Point produce content for and manage social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Huddle, Sport and Dev page).
- Facilitate quarterly online meetings with the Executive team members, including co-authoring an external quarterly report on the network activities with CYSDP Chair, in addition to producing monthly activity report for the Commonwealth Secretariat
- Support CYSDP’s functioning as a network by working with the Chair and Executive team to update as required the CYSDP Strategic Plan, Terms of Reference, and Code of Conduct; and ensuring alignment of structure with other Commonwealth Youth Networks.
- Support the membership of CYSDP by: monitoring focal points’ terms, and performance of roles and responsibilities according to the Term of Reference; coordinating recruitment of Executive team members and focal points, and recording and monitoring member details.
- Support strengthening of partnership and collaboration with the Commonwealth Secretariat, Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC), Commonwealth Youth Networks, and other stakeholders as directed.
- Supporting Chair and Executive team to maintain CYSDP contact database and to maintain regular communication with network members, organisations and other networks including but not limited to Commonwealth Youth Networks.
- Coordinate and organise the participation (in form of position papers unless otherwise stated) of CYSDP in key Commonwealth decision making platforms including Commonwealth Advisory Body on Sport (CABOS) meetings and Commonwealth Sports Ministers Meeting (CSMM).
- Maintain frequent and consistent communication with the assigned staff(s) from the Commonwealth Secretariat managing the network, this includes ensuring regular updates of the network’s work and also sharing of opportunities and announcements to all members of the network.
- Support the handover and transition of responsibilities to the new CYSDP Executive team. This should be done in close coordination with the current CYSDP Executive Team and the Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Be aged between 18 to 29 years at the time of application;
- Be a citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- Have a strong commitment to the CYSDP’s vision and mission;
- Have experience with youth-led initiatives, projects or organisations focused on sports and development;
- Be available to commit 18 hours per week to network activities.
Compulsory & Desirable Skills
- The candidate should possess excellent administrative and people skills, ability to coordinate/support meetings, write publications, policy papers, support research and thematic policy areas
Project Management & Implementation:
- The candidate should be able to commit the time required, at ~18 hours per week
- Possess project management/project delivery skills, support partnerships development, implementation track record, build stakeholders/network relationships & strategic planning
Compulsory Characteristic & Personality
- The candidate should demonstrate commitment to the CYSDP’S network vision, passionate about volunteering, expertise in their profession.
- The candidate should be organised, diplomatic and emotionally intelligent.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- The candidate should be able to show interest and past experience working in diverse teams and on diversity and inclusion matters.
- The candidate should be able to show exemplary people management skills, be able to build relationships and be the liaison between the commonwealth Secretariat and the Executive team of the Network.
- The selected candidates will work remotely and will receive a monthly stipend.
- A nominal honorarium will be provided for this role
Method of Application
Do note that the form will require you to upload documents but not limited to the following:
- A cover letter outlining your experience
- 1 reference letter from a reputable and relevant referee
- Contact details to your reference
Interested and qualified? Go to The Commonwealth on docs.google.com to apply