The UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship scheme gives registered doctoral scholars the chance to exploit the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD thesis or dissertation research, and to work with researchers in areas of joint interest.
- 31st March 2020
- 30th September 2020
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): Helsinki, Finland
About the Award: UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship fellows typically spend three consecutive months at UNU-WIDER before returning to their home institution. At the time of their period in Helsinki, fellows prepare one or more research projects and present a conference on their research discoveries. They could also have the chance to publish their research work in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
Type: Fellowship, PhD
Eligibility for UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship
- UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship applicants must be enrolled in a PhD program and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies.
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute.
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
- Applications from befitting competent early-career, female, and developing nation researchers are particularly encouraged.
- The UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship program is especially addressed at researchers at later stages of their PhD.
Number of Awards: TheUNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship Program is highly competitive and only a limited number of fellows can be accepted. In latest years, one percent of all applications have been accomplishing.
Benefits of UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship
UNU-WIDER gives a travel funding to cover the expenses of travel to and from the place of your Doctorate granting institution, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services ensuing from sickness and accident at the time of your stay at UNU-WIDER), and a monthly fee of EUR 1,600 to fund living costs in Helsinki at the period of their fellowship. The program does not fund costs related to dependent relatives.
Duration of Program: 3 months (February-June 2020)
How to Apply for UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship
- If you are interested in participating in this program you should complete and submit the application form.
- As part of your application procedure, you will be requested to upload your curriculum vitae. Your PhD supervisor will has to to tender UNU-WIDER with a reference letter, which must be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: phdreference(at)wider.unu.edu. The letter of reference will also be used to confirm that you are enrolled in a PhD program at your academic institution.
- Please ensure that we do not get applications by email or post.
- UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the Visiting PhD Fellowship Program twice each year. Closing dates for submission of applications are 31st of March and 30th September 23:59 UTC+3 every year.
- You would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period of February-June of the following year when applying in September.
- You would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period of August-November of the same year when applying in March,
Award Providers: UNU-WIDER
Significant Notes: Please know that the link to the online application form will only come to be active one month before the submission closing date (e.g., application procedures start on 1 March and 1 September of each year). March applicant’s will need to submit an updated application in September to be considered for the next round.
The Government of Finland declared a state of emergency on 16 March 2020 due to COVID-19. In response we suspended March applications for the UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowshipsprogram. We intend to re-open application in September (this dependends on the COVID-19 state at that time).
Replies may take up to five working days.