Oort Scholarship is open to international students from all over the world who are interested to undertake master’s studies at Leiden University Netherlands. Oort Scholarship is given to outstanding, non-Dutch master’s students. Oort Scholarship is intended for applicants who have a bachelor’s degree in astronomy or physics and who wish to acquire a master’s degree in astronomy studies from the University of Leiden. Successful applicants must have exceptional academic merit and financial support.
Leiden Observatory was established in 1633 and it is the oldest university astronomy department on the globe with a distinguished history. The work of renowned astronomers such as De Sitter, Hertzsprung, Oort, Blaauw, and Van de Hulst made Leiden a globally renowned center of astronomical research. Leiden Observatory provides an extensive range of Astronomy master’s specializations in which students actively partake in front-line research. Many of the students who have obtained their master’s degree in Leiden enroll in the PhD program, during which they are paid a very competitive salary for four years.
You must be a student with a Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc. or equivalent) in astronomy or physics who wishes to obtain a Master’s degree in astronomy from the University of Leiden. During your master’s degree in astronomy, you must pay a statutory home school fee to the University of Leiden.
Deadline: February 1, 2021 (for students starting in Sept.) / October 1, 2020 (for students starting in February)
Institution(s): Oort, Leiden University
Level of Study: Masters
Study in: Netherlands
- Astronomy Research.
- Astronomy and Cosmology.
- Astronomy and Instrumentation.
- Astronomy and Data Science.
- One year and can be renewed for a second year after successful conclusion of the first year.
Benefits of Oort Scholarship
Oort Scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- For a complete scholarship, the tuition charge for the Astronomy Research master’s program will be reduced to the amount of the home fee and you will get a stipend of up to €11,000 each year for living expenses.
- Partial scholarships may also be granted.
- The Oort scholarship is paid as a once-a-month stipend. If you halt your Astronomy master’s studies for any reason at all, the Oort scholarship payments will be stopped directly.
Eligibility for Oort Scholarship
To be qualified for Oort Scholarship, the candidate must meet the criteria below:
- Required Language: English.
- Eligible Countries: All world countries (except the Netherlands)
- You must hold a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in astronomy or physics.
- You have to be a student with a non-Dutch citizenship.
- Your earlier study results must be of exceptional academic merit.
- You have no other monetary backing (e.g. scholarships, grants) for your master’s study.
- You are planning to obtain your master’s degree in any of the previously-mentioned research specializations.
How to Apply for Oort Scholarship
Candidates who desire to be considered for an Oort scholarship have do the following before the closing date of October 1 (when planning to start in February) or February 1 (when planning to start in September):
- Apply via the online application system for admission to the Astronomy master’s program
- Compose a short statement motivating why you meet the two conditions of a) exceptional academic merit and b) need for monetary backing. Ensure to include your complete contact information and forward it to [email protected].
- Upon submitting your application, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt. The Board of Admissions will go through your admission to the Astronomy master’s program and your application for the Oort scholarship. In a month after the submission closing date, you will be notified about the outcome.
- The student is accountable for submitting a full application, according to the procedures mentioned above and before the aforementioned deadline. The academic institution or the Education Office Astronomy will not be held responsible for late and/or incomplete applications.
Top of Form To inquire further about Oort Scholarship, please visit the Official Website