MEXT Scholarship is a fully funded scholarship. MEXT Scholarship is offered by Japanese Government Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). Students from all world countries are eligible to apply. This scholarship is available for undergraduate, masters, PhD and training studies at top Japanese universities. MEXT scholarship will cover tuition fee, accommodation, monthly living allowance and round airfare travel expenses from your country to Japan.
The Ministry of Education, Sports, Science Culture, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan provides scholarships to foreign scholars who desire to study at Japanese universities as undergraduate or research (masters / PhD) students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships Program.
Normally the Application cycle of the MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship is announced in April. But this year due to COVID-19, the application announcement is delayed. However the MEXT Scholarship 2021 has been announced in most countries recently. Knowledge of Japanese Language and IELTS/TOEFL is not mandatory for this scholarship.
This is the MEXTembassy recommended scholarship. You are to apply through the Japanese embassy in your home country. (The links to all embassies are given below).
Deadline: Varies from Embassy to Embassy
Institution(s): Japanese Universities
Level of Study: Undergraduate / Masters / PhD / Training
Study in: Japan
- All types of courses offered in all Japanese Universities from Social Science to Engineering, Medical to Health, Arts, Humanities, etc. There are No Academic Fields Restrictions.
Undergraduate: 4-5 Years
Masters: 2-3 Years
PhD: 3-4 Years
Benefits of MEXT Scholarship
MEXT Scholarship is a completely funded scholarship for foreign students to study in Japan for free. Benefits are:
- Allowances: monthly stipend allowance, preparatory allowance (2021 Rate)
- Education Costs: costs for the entrance examination, tuition cost at universities will be covered by MEXT.
- Traveling Costs: transportation to Japan: MEXT will handle your round flight travel expenses from your home country to Japan. The flight ticket will be an Economy-class ticket for the flight.
- Accommodations: Residence halls for foreign students made available by universities.
Eligibility for MEXT Scholarship
To qualify for MEXT Scholarship, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- RequiredLanguage: English.
- EligibleCountries: All world countries
- Candidates must have the nationality of a nation that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- A candidate who has Japanese nationality during the time of application is not qualified.
- ForUndergraduate Students: You must between 17 and 25 years of age and have finished 12 years of school education or have finished courses in a school similar to a high school (includes prospective graduates)
- For Masters / PhD Students: You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years / 18 years of education.
- For Teacher training students: You must be under 35 years of age and a graduate of a college or teacher training college. You must have had minimum of five years of active experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary or teacher training college in your home country.
- For Japanese Study Students: Candidates must be between 18 to 30 years of age. Candidates must be admitted as undergraduate scholars in faculties or schools which major in Japanese language or Japanese culture in a university outside Japan during the period when they come to Japan and must be admitted in the home institution at the period when they return to their home countries.
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for MEXT Scholarship
Find the Japanese Embassy or Consulate of your country from here.
- Visit the website of Japanese Embassy of your country. Beneath the Education / Scholarship tab, you will see the MEXT scholarship.
- Download the MEXT scholarship application form and fill it.
- Submit the required documents (list given below) to Japanese Embassy of your country.
- A written test will be conducted by the Japanese Embassy.
- After that interviews of the candidates will be conducted.
- The successful candidates will be informed through email or embassy website.
- MEXT Scholarship Application form
- The highest degree verified with official stamps.
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of Education
- Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree
Note: If the degree is not in English, a notarized copy of a translation in English is required.
- The highest degree Transcript verified with official stamps. (Including Grading system)
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of Education
- Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree Transcripts
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree Transcripts
Note: If the diploma is not in English, a authenticated copy of a translation in English is mandatory.
- Two recommendation letters: The letters of recommendation must be written by the applicant’s teachers/advisors/employers (who are able to evaluate your academic performance and research potential) in either English. (for research students)
- Passport Scan (if available at the time of application)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (for research students)
- Study plan / Statement of purpose. The study plan is written in English. Main content shall comprise motivation of application, education/ research Background, and prospective study at APU. (for research students)
- English Language Proficiency Document: Those students whose language institute was in English can Submit English Proficiency Certificate from their Home University & they are exempted from Language Test.
- Academic thesis or relevant publications (for research students)
- Other reference documents (if applicable)
To inquire further about MEXT Scholarship 2021, please visit Official Website