Rhodes Scholarship is available to foreign scholars who aim to embark on postgraduate studies at University of Oxford UK for academic year 2020-2021. Rhodes Scholarship provides the recipient with a living stipend (£15,144 per annum), all University and College fees and the University application fee. 100 students are picked yearly from more than 60 nations all over the the world. Selection is made irrespective to gender, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, race, religion, color, social background, caste, or disability.
Deadline: Varies per country
Institution(s): University of Oxford
Level of Study: Master’s, PhD
Study in: UK
Whichever full-time postgraduate degree including, the BA with senior position above two years at the University of Oxford.
Click here for more information about permitted degrees.
You can choose any course from here.
Benefits of Rhodes Scholarship
- A living stipend (£15,144 per annum);
- All University and College fees;
- An economy class flight fare to Oxford at the beginning of the program and one economy flight back to the student’s home country at the end of the program.
- The University application fee;
- The duration of the program is two years, dependent always on satisfactory academic performance and individual conduct. Dependent on application process, the Scholarship may be prolonged for a third year for students who take a acknowledged route to the DPhil (PhD).
Eligibility for Rhodes Scholarship
- Citizenship and residency:Each applicant must fulfill the citizenship and residency requirements of the Rhodes constituency for which they are applying. Check the eligible Countries here.
- Education: All applicants must have achieved the completion of an honors bachelor’s degree by October. Also, academic standing must be adequately high to guarantee admission to the University of Oxford, which has very competitive admission requirements. In Canada, a GPA of at least 3.75/4.0, or equivalent, is anticipated.
- Age: Age boundaries differ between constituencies and range from at least 18 to a maximum of 28 by 1st of October the year after selection. In most constituencies, the age boundary is 24 or 25. Please check prudently the exact age requested by your constituency before applying. Successful applicants will reach Oxford the October after the selection procedure. The Scholarship may not be deferred.
- RequiredLanguage: English
How to Apply for Rhodes Scholarship
In comprehensive terms, all constituencies will need the following in differing ways:
- Curriculum vitae/resumé or list of principal activities. (Please do not include a photograph in your CV for this scholarship)
- Indication of academic record / transcript (complete or in progress) of undergraduate degree and any postgraduate study
- Personal statement or essay (including, a flawless statement of what the candidate desires to study at Oxford and why)
- English Language proficiency (where English is not the first language). Check requirements here.
- Indication of age / birth certificate / passport
- Four reference letters from appraisers who can confirm in trusted references to the character and intellect of the candidate, as well as academic, private, extra-curricular and leadership accomplishments (and who should certainly not include persons to whom you are related).
Step by Step Application Process:
- You can apply online at http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/apply via the scholarships tab.
- You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by deadline.
- In preparation for your application, you must read prudently the general information, importantly that held on the Scholarships tab, on the Rhodes website, the Conditions of Tenure for Rhodes Scholarship, the details in this document and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford: www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a social engagement and a final interview. You must attend both, in person, as no accommodations can be made on date and time, or mode, of these occasions. No applicant will be picked without an interview. Travel costs will be coverd by the Rhodes Trust, and will handle the round trip cost of a First Class rail ticket, but without hotel costs. International travel for candidates attending from abroad cannot be financd.
- All applicants will be emailed with the outcome of their application.
- Choice for the Rhodes Scholarship is made with no regard to monetary means.
- Choice for the Rhodes Scholarship is made with no regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction. The provision of such details in the ‘Outreach’ section of the application form is non-compulsory, but helps us to ensure that our selection procedures are just and that our outreach efforts are effective; those involved in selection will only see summary statistics of these responses in an anonymous format that cannot be tracked back to the individual.
- You are applying for a Rhodes Scholarship for admission to the University in October 2021; the scholarship award cannot be deferred.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is established only upon established admission to the University of Oxford.
- Selection will not be made if a sufficiently eligible applicant cannot be found.
- The conclusion of the Selection Committee is absolute.
Procedure after Selection:
- Note that successful candidates will need to apply to the University of Oxford very soon after selection. Full information will be provided upon selection.
- The complete application of successful applicants will be available to Rhodes House, Oxford, where the Scholarship references can be re-utilized, if suitable, in support of the successful applicant’s subsequent application to the University of Oxford.
- Successful applicants will be heartened to reveal, in confidence, any medical situation or special needs which may need academic or personal support in Oxford. This disclosure is completely voluntary and is demanded only to aid Rhodes House to provide appropriate backing in Oxford and to make the transition to Oxford as easy as possible.
To know more about Rhodes Scholarship 2021, please visit Official Website