Mastercard Scholarship Program will make available scholarships to academically brilliant young Africans to go for undergraduate and postgraduate academic studies at UCT.
Application Deadline: 30th September, 2020
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
To be taken at (country): South Africa
Eligible Fields of Study: Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
About the Award Program: The MasterCard Foundation has joined with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to mastermind the implementation of academic, financial, social and post-graduation support to awarded applicants under the scholarship called The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The dream of the Mastercard Scholarship Program is to change talented young individuals from recipients to sponsors, preparing them with the essential knowledge, values, skills, and leadership to energize economic and social development across Africa. The Program aims at academically eligible undergraduate and postgraduate applicants who are economically disadvantaged young individuals with leadership prospects from Sub-Saharan Africa.
In the year 2017, forty-two (42) opportunities (13 undergraduate and 29 Masters) are accessible for scholars who aim to begin with their first year of registration for full-time undergraduate and Masters study. No applications for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship for Honors studies at UCT in 2017 will be considered.
Offered Since: 2012
Eligibility for Mastercard Scholarship Program
To be qualified to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must pass the stated criteria:
- Academically brilliant, must treasure learning and be passionate to finish their education.
- Economically underprivileged and going through noteworthy financial barriers to gain access to education.
- Dedicated to giving back to their own communities once studies are finished, to return to their home nations and take a leadership role in encouraging social and economic growth.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethicalleadership to improve the lives of others.
- Obligation to communityservice through prior and/or past engagements with community outreach doings
- Citizens and inhabitants of a Sub-Saharan African nation.
- Willing to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honors candidates will be considered from 2016.
- Applying to learn in the areas of Commerce, Humanities, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All potential students must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Though every academic department has its own standards, at least 60% for the Honors or equivalent degree is the overall academic standard required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be offered to ‘first-generation’ scholars, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
- Candidates must have gotten a firm offer to study at UCT
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- Candidates must show leadership prospects and must have acted in a leadership capacity
- Candidates must meet the set academic criteria
Number of Awardees: 50 opportunities (24 undergraduate, 10 honors and 16 master’s)
Benefits of Mastercard Scholarship Program
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air travel ticket to Cape Town, South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or inhabitants of a Sub-Saharan nation other than South Africa or ii) living in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Complete tuition fees and international student fees
- Somewhere to stay in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Feeding through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical insurance with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living pay; to be used to fend for ad hoc spending pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree program
- Expenses connected to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity
- An economy class air travel ticket home after completion of academic studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or inhabitants of a Sub-Saharan nation asides South Africa or ii) living in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
Students enrolled on the Mastercard Scholarship Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counseling.
Duration of Mastercard Scholarship Program: 1 year
How to Apply for Mastercard Scholarship Program
To apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, candidates should firstly, apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Applicants are heartened to make contact with the appropriate department that the academic application will be given to..
Visit Scholarship Webpage for details