The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program offers mid-career professionals from selected nations all over the world a chance to improve their professional capacities through involvement in specialized 10 month non-degree programs.
Application Deadline: 15th August 2020
To Be Taken At (Country): USA
About the Program: At the time of their stay at a host American institution, Humphrey Fellows are invited to take graduate programs applicable to their professional interests. However, as the Humphrey Fellowship program is not a degree program, candidates spend a substantial portion of their time involved in professional development activities like: consultations and affiliations with U.S. faculty and experts, workshops, field trips, research projects, and the development of practical useful approaches that could be applied in the Fellows’ home nations.
Field of Study: The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program offers opportunities in the following fields:
- Economic Development/ Finance and Banking
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
Democratic Institution Building
- Law and Human Rights
- International Religious Freedom
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
- Technology Policy and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Public Health Policy and Management
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Contagious and Infectious Diseases
Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program Components
Academic: The Humphrey program is categorized as a non-degree program. Humphrey Fellows are not allowed to transfer from non-degree standing to degree standing. Humphrey Fellows study custom-made programs at partaking host institutions, where the liberty from the prerequisites of a degree program affords every Fellow the flexibility to pursue a self-directed, personalized program.
Professional: Early in the academic session, each Fellow creates, with support from the local campus coordinator and faculty advisors, a plan for professional undertakings carefully adapted to the Fellow’s need for germane, practical professional experiences. A Fellow’s professional-development plan may comprise professional visits, seminars, and a professional affiliation (mid-career internship/residency) that has to be at least six weeks in length.
Eligibility for Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Have a minimum of a four-year undergraduate degree from S.A. (BA + Honors)
- Possess at least five years of full-time professional experience after the attainment of a first university/undergraduate degree before August 2020
- University lecturers have to have management or policy responsibilities and experience. Exceptions apply to teachers of English as a foreign language and specialists in substance abuse preventions and treatment
- Proven Leadership Ability: applicants must have attained positions of noteworthy responsibility at the national, regional or local level and display clear promise to take on greater future leadership roles
- A proof of public service in the community: applicants’ careers have to display a present and future devotion to public service, largely defined in the public, NGO, or private sector
The following individuals are not eligible for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program:
- Individuals who have attended graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2020 are ineligible to apply
- Persons who have had over six months of U.S. experience during the five years before August 2021 are not qualified to apply
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status are ineligible to apply.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Benefits of Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
The Fellowship provides for:
- Payment of tuition and fees at the assigned host university;
- Pre-academic English language training, if required;
- A living allowance, including a one-time settling-in allowance;
- Accident and sickness coverage;
- A book allowance; one-time computer subsidy;
- Flight fare (international travel to and fro the U.S. for the Program and local travel to mandatory program events);
- A Professional Development stipend for professional events, like field trips, professional visits and seminars.
Duration of Programme: 10 months
How to Apply for Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
The online application can be accessed HERE