Global Korea Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students in Korea 2021 is currently open. The Korean Government is providing Global Korea Scholarships to foreign Undergraduate students at higher educational institutions in the 2021/22 session. The purpose of Global Korea Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students is to provide international students with opportunities to conduct advanced studies in undergraduate & graduate programs at higher educational institutions in the Republic of Korea so as to encourage international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between nations.
Higher education institutions in Korea are mostly split into junior colleges (2~3 year program), universities (4-year program) and graduate schools. In current years, with the advancement of information and communication technologies, cyber universities that provide education in the format of e-learning are also developing. Graduate-level programs (master’s and doctoral degree programs) are largely offered at 4-year universities.
Closing date: The requests for 2021 GKS U application begins in earlySeptember and lasts till mid-October. Every Korean embassy and university selects its own deadline within that period. Most closing date falls in October.
Undergraduate Course: 4-year courses at designated universities. (Transferring between universities is not allowed. (E.g. beginning studies at the junior year is not permissible.)
Graduate Course: Master’s or Ph.D. courses at general graduate schools of Korean universities
Total Applicants to be Chosen: 170 individuals (undergraduate course), 700 individuals (graduate course)
Korea Language Tutoring: Selected applicants are required to take Korean language training courses for one year at a language institution situated on-campus of the domestic universities. (Individuals who have accomplished Korean language fluency score greater than level 5 in TOPIK are exempted from this requirement.)
Benefits of Global Korea Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students
The Scholarship benefits for Global Korea Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students are in different categories;
- Resettlement Allowance
- Living Allowance
- Medical Insurance
- Language Courses
- Tuition Fees
- Award for Excellent Korean language proficiency
- Research Support
- This benefit has a different amount allocated to them. Visit the website for more details.
Eligibility for Global Korea Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students
- Both a candidate and his/her parents must be citizens of their nation of origin.
- Candidates should not have Korean citizenship.
- Candidates should have satisfactory health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a overseas nation for a long time.
- Has to be below 25 years of age at the date of entrance. (Undergraduate)
- Has to be below 40 years of age at the date of entrance. (Graduate)
- Have completed or be programmed to finish formal education of all elementary, middle, high school courses by the date of arrival. (Undergraduate)
- Own a grade point average (G.P.A.) beyond 80% from the last educational institution attended.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree by the date of arrival. (Graduate)
- Candidates who have earlier accomplished in any undergraduate program, master’s program, or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program.
- On the other hand, a past or current KGSP scholar who has the overall grade of 90% or beyond can reapply to this program once either through the embassy or university track.
How to Apply for Global Korea Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students
- Every application must be submitted either to the Korean Embassy where you have the citizenship or to one of our partner institutions in Korea.
- Ensure to refer to the details on the application guidelines on how to
submit your application.
- Even if you are presently living in Korea or a separate nation, if you are to apply
through embassy track, you must submit your application documents to the Korean
embassy in the nation where you have the citizenship.
- NIIED summons the Korean Embassy in the invited nation or a domestic university to recommend potential applicants.
- Candidates should submit all documents related to their scholarship application to the Korean Embassy in their country of residence to or the domestic university concerned.
- The Korean Embassy or the domestic university directs proper applicants to NIIED with the mandatory documents.
- NIIED assesses potential applicants and informs the Korean Embassy of the concluding nominated KGSP grantees.
Click here for more details and to apply on Global Korea Scholarships for Undergraduate International Students.