Good news! Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University is presently open. Every year, Utrecht University in Netherlands offers the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships for foreign scholars to embark on Bachelors and Masters Degree programs.
Application Deadline: Before 31st January 2021 (23:59 CET). In some instances candidate may need to apply before 1st December, 2020.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): Utrecht University, Netherlands
Accepted Subject Areas for Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University
The Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University offers a number of highly talented potential students the opportunity to embark on a degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University:
- Graduate School of Geosciences
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance
- Graduate School of Life Sciences
- Graduate School of Natural Sciences
- Graduate School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of graduate scholarship awards to highly talented prospective international students, with the opportunity to pursue a degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University. The scholarship program is highly competitive. Only applicants displaying the highest attainment and promise may get a scholarship. Selected individuals get a scholarship for the period of the degree program, which is a maximum of two years for a Master’s degree.
Type: Masters taught
Eligibility for Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University
To be eligible for the Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University, applicant must
- Be part of the top 10% of your graduating class
- Own a non-EU/EEA passport and not be qualified for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
- Have finished your secondary school and/or BSc degree outside the Netherlands
- Have applied for an international master’s program with a start date of September 2021.
Selection Criteria for Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University
Qualified applicants are picked for a scholarship on the grounds of the following conditions:
- Academic brilliance and promise in the proposed area of study;
- The academic worth and results of previous qualifications, as verified by proof of being a part to the top 10% of the class, grades, test scores, a writing sample, recommendation letters;
- The excellence and significance of the motivation letter for the Master’s program (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
- The quality of the application for the Master’s program itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency)
- Applicant’s application for a scholarship will only be considered if applicant has submitted an application for a Master’s program as well.
Number of Scholarships: 20-25 scholarships
Benefits of Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University
The Utrecht Excellence scholarships can be granted as:
- tuition fees
- tuition fees plus 11.000 euro living expenses
Since the funding is not automatically a full scholarship, it may be essential to find extra funding to be able to finance your studies and stay fully. Individuals needful of a residence permit in the Netherlands must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalization Office) that they have adequate financial capability.
Duration of Scholarship: The scholarship is granted for the period of the degree program, which is one or two years, contingent on the degree program. The scholarship will only be repeated for the second year if the scholar is making adequate progress towards the degree.
How to Apply for Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University
After submitting an application for the Master’s program, non-EU/EEA scholars will have the choice to submit an application for an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship from 1 November.
Applicants will need to upload the following document:
- Evidence of being part of the top 10% of your graduating class:
a certified document by applicant’s university that demonstrates you are part of the top 10% of your graduating class, such as a statement signed and stamped by your University, a reference letter, a class ranking certificate, etc.
Beware that individuals starting their program in February are not qualified for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
- Submit an application for a Master’s program; if applicants do not do this first, their UES application will just be deleted.
- After submitting an application for a Master’s program, applicants can go to Osiris Online Application.
- Log in with their Osiris username and password.
- Click on the link ‘New application’.
- UES questions should be answered and upload the requested document(s).
- Submit your application.
Applicants will not be notified whether they have been granted the scholarship before the scholarship deadline and not before they have been (un)conditionally admitted to the program.
Visit Scholarship webpage for Details on Excellence Scholarships at Utrecht University.