Job Number: 527169
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Key Functions, Accountabilities and Related Duties/Tasks
- The holder incumbent will be expected to provide technical support to NERICC and NEMCHIC activities related to social mobilization, demand generation and related functions.
Strategic Direction & Coordination:
- Support NERICC and NEMCHIC to determine strategic directions for communication for development (advocacy, social mobilization, community engagement and behaviour change technical working groups) team and ensure the strategies are in line with Nigeria Country Programme Document (CPD) as well as the Rolling Work Plan (RWP) to achieve Routine Immunization coverage targeted in NSIPS as well as contribute to improvement of CSD indices.
- Make viable recommendations and decisions on appropriate communication for development strategies to achieve the NERICC’s and NEMCHIC’s goals and objectives, and to support UNICEF’s mission in the country.
- Coordinate different fora mainly GAVI sub groups for demand generation, BMGF MOU states community engagement working groups and CSM communication groups.
- To provide expert advice and assistance to the NERICC and NEMCHIC team by attending several task teams including core group on attitude and behaviour change modalities that contribute to changing mindsets and are culturally sensitive and tailored to generate demand for routine immunization (RI) services and maternal and child health (MCH) development.
- Ensure that NERICC and NEMCHIC task groups are supported to develop plans and activities to increase demand for RI and MCH services
- Develop, maintain and update the C4D strategy for NERICC and NEMCHIC with approaches, plans and activities geared towards increasing demand for RI and other primary health care (PHC) services.
- The strategy should be founded on sound evidence based on studies with clear objectives, approaches, plans, activities, as well as monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- Ensure approaches used is all inclusive, consultative and participatory to carry along all stakeholders.
Promotion of Appropriate use of Communication for Social Development:
- Provide advice on appropriate use of communication and approach for social development, aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action as well as policy advice.
- Provide expert advice, coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development to ensure optimum leverage and impact of communication activities on programme, policy and advocacy activities.
- Collaborate with the Federal Government officials, NPHCDA, community leaders, other UN bodies, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of NERICC’s and NEMCHIC’s communication goals and strategies.
- Jointly with other UNICEF and government officers, designs and manages/facilitates the implementation of communication plans of action aiming at: (a) behaviour development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; (c) increased community participation in RI and PHC; and (d) policy issues that require advocacy to impact RI and PHC uptake.
- Support state teams to design and implement strategies for hard to reach, nomadic and minority groups at the LGA and ward levels, informed by the equity analysis and aligned with coverage and equity plans.
- Monitors and evaluates activities on the basis of applied targeted communication research and frequent visits to project sites. Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges of experience and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
- Collaborate with, advise and/or consult internal partners, to design of culturally relevant C4D strategies, including formulation, production and pre-testing materials and/or to organize C4D events and activities to ensure engagement and participation of key audiences, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change.
- Confirm/verify the technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications strategies, including materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience and recommend appropriate multiple media formats. Oversee the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans that integrate the latest evidence.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with/for a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, such as religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organised groups at national, state, zonal, Local Government Areas (LGA) and community levels, as well as civil society organizations etc. to orient them on behavior and social mobilization models, strategies, approaches, routine immunization as well as MNCH+N; and solicit their involvement in the implementation of the overall initiative; also to encourage/promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-determination and participation in mobilizing social, political, behavioral and cultural change to achieve sustainable program results for polio eradication, improved routine immunization, and children and women’s rights, equity and well-being. Develop/select materials and other communication tools for C4D events.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media, academia and other strategic partners to communicate/advocate UNICEF’s competencies and achievements to ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social/political engagement for political action on polio eradication, and measurable changes in social and behavioral outcomes.
- Conduct and/or participate in M & E (Monitoring and Evaluation) and Evaluation exercises, including country program previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess/report on efficacy/outcome of C4D on UNICEF and Nigeria Country Office (NCO) Strategic Plans/Goals. Recommend timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Integrate/disseminate lessons learned in development planning and improvements.
- Monitor and evaluate programme activities on the basis of applied qualitative behavioral research and frequent visits to project sites.
- Analyse and evaluate data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Prepare monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures. Provide technical advice to programme staff, government officials and other counterparts, and coordinate and manage the evaluative elements of country programme milestone meetings, such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
Capacity Building for Sustainability:
- Provide advice on capacity building of communication for development teams, both within NPHCDA and among counterparts.
- Oversee and advise on the development of goals, strategy, approaches, plans as well as training materials and activities to build up capacity in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of communication for development intervention, in support of RI and PHC
Resource Mobilization and Management:
- Participate in the budget planning & review process, and ensure the optimal resources from UNICEF and other partners towards C4D initiatives to support NERICC
- Establish programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
- Take appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds and mobilize resources; improve programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversee the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly and effectively coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
- Advanced University Degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, and participatory communication, and research, training/facilitation and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
- Training in communication for development and implementation in communication for development, social mobilization and behavioral change. Training in inter-disciplinary approach in programme communication.
- Minimum 8 years relevant professional work experience in the planning and management of social development programmes, including 2 years in with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Fluency in English and another UN language. Local working language of the duty station an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2019 by 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online