Good news! Research Career Re-entry Fellowships is presently open. Wellcome Trust in the UK is donating the Research Career Re-entry Fellowships to postdoctoral research scientists, giving them the opportunity to re-form their scientific careers after an incessant break from research of no less than two years.
Wellcome exists to improve health for every person by helping great ideas to succeed. They are a worldwide charitable foundation, both politically and financially independent. They support scientists and researchers ideas on serious issues, fuel imaginations, and spark debate.
Their funding covers more than 14,000 individuals in more than 70 nations. In the next five years, they target to spend up to £5 billion helping thousands of inquisitive, fervent people all over the world explore ideas in science, population health, medical innovation, the humanities and social sciences and public engagement.
Benefits of Research Career Re-entry Fellowships
Research Career Re-entry Fellowships will cover the entire cost of your salary for the whole period of the grant.
They will provide:
- a fellowship supplement of £7,500 per year if you are:
– a non-clinical researcher
- the extra employer’s contributions needed to fund the supplement.
- If you have to move to take up the post at your host organization, you can request for £1,000. You’ll need to justify this.
- research expenses
- funds for pertinent research retraining, e.g. for a skills or MSc course
Eligibility for Research Career Re-entry Fellowships
- You can apply for a Research Career Re-entry Fellowship if you’ve had a nonstop career break of at least two years and you want to re-establish your research career.
- They accept career breaks taken because of family obligations, ill health and work outside of research.
- You must hold a PhD and postdoctoral research experience.
- You should have begun to make significant contributions to your area of research before your career break, e.g. journals, patents, software development or an influence on policy.
- You must have an authorized sponsoring organization in the UK or Republic of Ireland that will administer the fellowship for the complete period of the award.
You must have to get Research Career Re-entry Fellowships:
- a research benefactor who’ll offer you scientific assistance, space and access to resources
- a counselor who’ll give you independent support and advice.
- Sponsors/research sponsors and mentors should have solid track records in research and mentorship. They should view their support and mentorship of you as part of a longer-term obligation to help you return to a career in research.
- You should give deep thought to your choice of research environment, sponsor and mentor.
How to Apply for Research Career Re-entry Fellowships
- Submit your preliminary application: You must submit your preliminary application through Grant Tracker (opens in a new tab).
- Assessment of preliminary applications: They’ll evaluate your eligibility, and give advice about your competitiveness and the resources you’ve demanded. A decision will be given you within three weeks of the preliminary application deadline. If appropriate, they will call you to submit a full application.
- Submit your full application to your host organization for authorization: Complete the full application form on Grant Tracker. Submit it to the ‘authorized organizational approver’ at your host organization for authorization. Ensure you leave enough time for the approver to review and submit your application before the closing date. The approver may ask you to make changes to your application.
- Host organization reviews your application and submits it to them: Your application must be submitted by 17:00 (GMT/BST) on the deadline day.
- External peer review: They will look out for written comments on your application from external expert reviewers.
- Shortlisting: The Basic Science Interview Committee will deliberate your full application. They will call you for an interview if it is successful. They’ll give you a minimum two weeks’ notice and send you unattributed comments from the external peer review.
- Interview: The Basic Science Interview Committee will carry out interviews at the Wellcome offices in London.
Research Career Re-entry Fellowships Deadline: applications are consider twice a year. Late applications will not be accepted. April 2021 round
Preliminary application deadline: April 8, 2021, 17:00 BST
Click here for more details and to apply for Research Career Re-entry Fellowships.