Applications are now open for the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Program for International Students. Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Program is an internship program in Japan.
Application Deadline: 15th October 2020
About Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Award Program : The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns. The two-six month assignments give the opportunity to gain experience in a certain laboratory or to learn a particular technique. Interns work following the direction of a Professor at OIST and add to the research activities of OIST. Precise assignment of obligations is at the discretion of the PI, and is subject to change.
Eligibility for Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Program
- Those eligible to apply forOkinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters Programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan, overseas or recent graduates of such institutions.
- Presently enrolled students must have endorsement from their home institution.
- Candidates’ academic background should be suitable to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
- Graduate School financed internships are very competitive and are only granted to exceptional candidates who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are fresh graduates within the past year before the application closing date.
- In certain cases, extra internship positions may be presented directly by OIST faculty to other exceptional candidates, chiefly for those with highly-developed skills germane to the group’s research.
Selection: Research Intern places are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis. Selection is very competitive, and hangs on suitability of the intended research, academic background, accessible funding and space. Not all available positions will necessarily be filled.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Benefits of Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Program
- Allowance: OIST offers living allowance, commuting funding where essential and housing either on campus or nearby. Successful candidates will get a Living Allowance of 2,400 JPY each day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
- Travel Costs: Okinawa Institute of Science and Technologywill fund one direct round-trip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facility where the internship will occur (primarily in Okinawa). The travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. Travel for successful candidates is organized by the OIST Graduate School.
- Other supports to be offered: The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will offer support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as accommodation, visa acquisition, insurance measures, and local registration. OIST regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student are not available.
Duration of Award: 2-6 month placements
How to Apply for Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Program
- Applications to the program must be made through the online form, available here.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Ensure to check your settings to confirm you can receive emails from addresses [email protected]).
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- Notification will be sent to successful applicants by 3 months after the submission deadline, at the latest. (In some cases candidates’ email services/ settings inhibit receipt of our notifications. Please ensure that your inbox is able to get emails from [email protected] email addresses. We will not recurrently send notifications. If you are not able to find a notification by the approximate notification date below, you can assume that you will not receive an offer for the current round.)
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Applicant’s cooperation is essential for timely achievement of logistics to begin the internship, as well as possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
Visit Program Webpage for Details about Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate Research Internship Program.