Applications for Nordic Africa Institute Nordic Scholarships for Africa-oriented Studies 2021 are open.Staying for a month at the Nordic Africa Institute so as to facilitate use of the Institute’s library collections on contemporary Africa, and to make links to existing research at the Institution. The scholarships are granted once each year. The Nordic Africa Institute carry out research and offers resources that aid more understanding about contemporary Africa. We believe that research-based knowledge and analysis propose a concrete base for informed conclusions and contribute to the actualization of the global development agenda.
We are a close-knit, international team, with a shared belief that a deeper understanding of the issues that shape contemporary Africa will contribute to making development truly sustainable. Based on the three pillars of research, communication and library services, the Institute builds, disseminates and promotes knowledge about contemporaryAfrica. The Nordic Africa Institute is a Swedish public agency, jointly financed by the Nordic countries Sweden, Finland and Iceland. As an authority it is led by a director, who is ultimately responsible to the Swedish government for the decisions taken.
Application Deadline: 15th October 2020.
To Be Taken At (Country): Uppsala, Sweden.
About the Award: The aim of the scholarship program is to offer a 1-month stay at the Nordic Africa Institute in order to facilitate use of the Institute’s library collections on modern Africa (books, journals, newspapers, and government publications), and to create links to existing research at the Institute.
Type: Short courses
Eligibility for Nordic Africa Institute Nordic Scholarships
This scholarship program is for:
- Master students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers pursuing Africa-oriented studies/research in Social Sciences and Humanities, and
- Affiliated to universities and research centers in Sweden, Finland and Iceland.
- Africa-oriented journalists and writers within the discipline of Social Sciences and Humanities in Sweden, Finland and Iceland.
Selection Criteria: Applications are primarily evaluated based on the outline of the research project.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Benefits of Nordic Africa Institute Nordic Scholarships
- The institute scholarships cover travelling costs for the least expensive fee from residential address (in Sweden, Finland and Iceland) to Uppsala and coming back.
- Nordic Africa Institute Nordic Scholarships holders are provided with a desk and computer in a shared office at the Institute and free accommodation centrally located in Uppsala.
- The institute scholarships also include a subsistence allowance of SEK 300 each day and free photocopying up to a maximum of 1,000 copies.
- Please note: The scholarship does not include health care insurance or other insurances.
Duration of Program: 1 month
How to Apply for Nordic Africa Institute Nordic Scholarships
- Application form
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if any).
- Outline of research project, 3-5 pages:
– Objective of the research project: The research topic should be clearly recognized and contextualized within its academic field.
– Method and time frame: Define how the research project will be attained; state the research method, data gathering methods and time frame.
– Theoretical explication: A short indication of the theoretical foundation of the research project must be involved.
– The candidate should elucidate what aspect of the research project he/she will work on throughout the stay at the Nordic Africa Institute.
- Reference: A signed letter of backing from the candidate’s supervisor or department head, which endorses present affiliation and field of research. (Scanned versions of signed support letters can be forwarded via mail by the candidate.)
Unfinished applications will not be deliberated. Individuals presently or formerly employed by or otherwise professionally affiliated with the Nordic Africa Institute are not qualified for scholarships. Note that the application and appendices must be in English.
Visit Programme Webpage for Details
Important: In the unexpected event that the scholarship program does not get complete funding or cannot for other unexpected reasons be implemented in 2021 candidates will be notified accordingly.