The new Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa 2020/2021 for Young Africans is now open for applicants.
Application Deadline: 7th August 2020
About the Award: United States International University-Africa (USIU-Africa) has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation in its global Scholars Program. This program will provide academically talented young from African countries facing financial, displacement, gender, or disability limitations a chance to get world class university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa will offer full-cost scholarship award to young African individuals who are first-time undergraduate degree-seeking candidates. By accomplishment of their studies program, students will be expected to lead changes in their societies and add to meaningful transformation across the continent, having been equipped with internationally recognized and locally germane qualifications.
Eligibility for Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- Only individuals not beyond 29 years of age in the following groups qualify:
- Young women as well as men. Young women are strongly encouraged to apply
- Refugees and displaced individuals;
- Youth living with disabilities.
2. Scholars must demonstrate the following qualities:
- Academic talent: They must treasure learning and have a personal drive to finish their education. Certainly must pass the university admissions requirement according to the Kenya Commission for University Education or its equivalent.
- Commitment to giving back: Candidates must show a dedication to improving their communities through prior and/or past engagements with community outreach activities.
- Leadership prospect: Students must demonstrate dedication to becoming change makers, role models and mentors who hold ethical leadership.
3. Must be interested in, and meet USIU admissions criteria and academic qualifications to undertake, any of the approved 11 undergraduate degree program for the Scholars Program at USIU-Africa as follows:
- School of Science and Technology (SST) – Bachelor of Science in Information Systems and Technology, Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Technology
- School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (SPHS) – Bachelor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Bachelor of Pharmacy
- School of Communication, Cinematic and Creative Arts (SCCCA) – Bachelor of Arts in Film Production and Directing, Bachelor of Arts in Animation
- Chandaria School of Business Administration (CSOB) – Bachelor of Science in International Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Finance
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS) -Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Further information concerning the above degree programs can be seen at the university website
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at (Country): Kenya
Number of Awards: Not specified
Benefits of Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars at USIU-Africa will accept universal support which comprises:
- Tuition and functional fees;
- Laptops, books and other learning materials;
- Reasonable accommodation and meals;
- Medical insurance;
- Transport to and from home;
- Access to leadership training;
- Access to entrepreneurial training;
- Psycho-social support, career counselling and mentorship;
- Disability needs will be reasonably catered for.
Duration of Award: 4 years
Important dates and deadlines:
- July 15th, 2020 – Launch of call for applications for the September 2020 intake.
- August 7th, 2020 – Deadline for the submission of applications.
- August 8th -18th, 2020 – Evaluation of applications, interviews and selection of Scholars.
- August 19th – 21st, 2020 – Communication of the final decision to the selected Scholars.
- August 23rd – 29th – Pre-university orientation for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars at USIU-Africa.
- August 31st – September 4th – Undergraduate orientation week.
How to Apply for Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- Interested candidates should download the application forms from www.usiu.ac.ke/mcf-scholarship or pick from Main Administration Building, Admissions Office, USIU-Africa at no cost.
- Submit filled application forms through email as an attachment, making sure that the scanned copy of the scholarship application form and all mandatory documents are clearly legible and send to the link: [email protected] or drop at Main Administration Building, Admissions Office, USIU-Africa or post to: Program Director, Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, USIU-Africa, P.O. Box 14634 – 00800, Nairobi
- Any inquiries can be forwarded through e-mail at [email protected] or phone +254730 116 218 or in person.GOODLUCK as you apply for Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.