The Loran Foundation is happily accepting applications from qualified and outstanding students who will be enrolling in an undergraduate program at the University of Calgary. The full educational program is open for the academic year 2021/2022.
- 1 Description of the Full Loran Foundation Scholarship at the University of Calgary 2021/2022
- 1.1 Requirements for the Scholarship
- 1.2 Number of Scholarships Available
- 1.3 Eligibility for the Scholarship
- 1.4 Frequently Asked Questions about the Scholarship Process
Description of the Full Loran Foundation Scholarship at the University of Calgary 2021/2022
The Loran Scholarship funds young and rising young Canadians who show the strength of character and a commitment to service in their communities, challenging them to fully realize their leadership potential. Offered annually to an undergraduate student entering the first year in any faculty.
Renewable in second, third and fourth year at the University of Calgary, provided recipients achieve a minimum GPA of 3.30 over a minimum of 30.00 units in the previous fall and winter terms. The awardees must live in university residence for at least two years and continue to show evidence of character, leadership and service as determined by the Canadian Merit Scholarship Foundation.
Valued at up to $100,000, the Loran Award includes:
- Study at one of 25 partner universities with an annual $10,000 living stipend and matching tuition waiver
- $10,000 in funding for three summer internships working in an enterprise, public policy, and community development
- The pairing of scholars with mentors who challenge them and introduce them to their new communities
- An orientation expedition through Algonquin Park
- Annual retreats and scholar gatherings
- The opportunity to join an extensive community of individuals working toward a better country and world
Requirements for the Scholarship
The selection of a Loran Scholar is exceptional in its attention to a young person’s character. We believe that integrity, courage, grit and personal autonomy are better indicators of overall potential than standard academic measures.
To find out these traits, we deliver the most all encompassing scholarship selection process in Canada. Tenable at 25 partner universities, they value the Loran Award at $100,000 over four years, including mentorship, funding for summer internships and participation in an extensive network of past and present scholars.
Number of Scholarships Available
Each year, the institutions offers up to 36 Loran Awards. In addition, we are granting up to 118 finalist and provincial & territorial awards ($5,000 or $2,000 each, respectively) to rising stars.
Eligibility for the Scholarship
This opportunity is accessible to Canadian high school students who:
- Are in their final year of uninterrupted full-time studies in high school;
- Have a minimum cumulative average of 85%;
- Hold Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status;
- Are at least 16 years of age by September 1st of the following year.
- Students who graduated in 2021 and are currently taking a gap year are also eligible to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Scholarship Process
What Counts as an Official Transcript?
The university accepts transcripts or unofficial marks summaries that are given by either the school or the Ministry of Education. For Cegep students, we require school academic records that show the R score and grades. Cegep students can view and print these records from Omnivox. We do not accept report cards.
Who Can Write My Reference Letter and How do I Submit it?
You must request a reference letter from a teacher, a member of the community, or someone else who is familiar with your activities. The reference writer may not be a family member or a friend.
After your application is done, your reference writer will receive a reference request email from [email protected] This email will contain a link allowing your reference writer to see your application and access the online reference form (250 words maximum).
Applicants are advised to complete the online reference form before the closing date of application
When Will I Be Notified About the Status of My Application?
Once your application is fully done, you will receive a confirmation email. Afterwards, only applicants selected as semi-finalists are notified of the status of their application.
Therefore, If selected as semi-finalists, candidates are invited to take part in online interviews through videoconference. These interviews are an opportunity for semi-finalists to connect with one another, meet the local leaders who serve as our interviewers and gain valuable interview experience. Candidates that they select for semi-final interviews will be contacted at least 2 weeks before their interview date.
After semi-final interviews, our committees invite outstanding semi-finalists to take part in national interviews, which will be held from February 10-13, 2022. Our committees also grant provincial & territorial awards and honour citations to semi-finalists who distinguish themselves at the semi-final regional level.
Application Deadline: The Closing date for applying for this scholarship is October 13, 2021
If you find this article useful kindly share to your loved ones using the share button