Good news! ESO Science Journalism Internship is currently open. ESO Science Journalism Internship 2021 is a fully funded internship for international students. The duration of The European Southern Observatory (ESO) Science Journalism Internship is three months up to a maximum of six months. ESO Science Journalism Internshipwill provide a monthly allowance to cover your living expenses, accommodation and the cost of a return trip from/to your home station.
It was established in the year 1962, ESO has delivered astronomers with advanced research facilities and access to the southern sky. ESO Education and Public Outreach Department (ePOD) is responsible for the organization’s outreach activities. A broad range of programs and events are utilized to fulfill the specific requirements of television, print and online media, such as press releases and broadcast material for the media. ePOD embraces a multimedia method to public outreach and yields high-quality printed material such as brochures, books, yearly reports, newsletters, posters etc.
Deadline: December 31, 2020
Level of Study: Internship
ESO is the leading intergovernmental astronomy organization in Europe and the global most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO is an ambitious program dedicated to the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities empowering astronomers to make imperative scientific findings. ESO controls three distinctive world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the global best advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the global biggest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a chief partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is constructing the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become “the world’s biggest eye on the sky” and whose setup will be completely integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
Internship Focused Areas:
- Science communication
- Science journalism
- Three(3) months up to six months at most
Benefits of ESO Science Journalism Internship
ESO Science Journalism Internship 2020 will provide:
- A monthly allowance to cover your living expenses.
- The expenses of a return trip from/to your home station.
Eligibility for ESO Science Journalism Internship
Candidates must meet the criteria for ESO Science Journalism Internship below:
- Required Languages: English. You must be fluent in English both written and oral.
- Eligible Countries: All world countries
- The program is looking for people who want to gain experience in science communication of frontline astronomy projects.
- Candidates should possess some prior experience in written science communication in English and in particular communicating astronomy or other physical sciences to the public.
- Applicants should also have knowledge of astronomy that allows them to understand scientific papers.
- You must have strong MS Office applications skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Applicants presently studying or having recently finished a University degree in science, science communication or science journalism, are preferred.
- Provide clear, concise and timely written and oral communications.
- Applicants can work under time pressure and meet agreed time limit, deadline and standards.
- Applicants will work both on their own initiative and as part of a team.
- Applicants will nurture upright collaborative working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds and disciplines.
Steps to Apply for ESO Science Journalism Internship
Follow the application instructions below to win ESO Science Journalism Internship:
- Apply online from Here.
- Complete the applications in English.
- The application includes a motivation letter and your CV.
- Please also upload samples of your work (Applications without samples will not be evaluated).
- To inquire further about ESO Science Journalism Internship 2020, please visit Official Website.
- Apply Now