Major Difference between Catholic and Baptist: There are many errors and confusions when it comes to religious groups as each church has its sets of beliefs and tenets. In this article, we will show you the major difference between Catholic and Baptist.
Catholics believe that Christ has placed the Church in authority over Christians on earth, whereas Baptists believe that Christ has placed the Bible in authority over Christians on earth.
Catholics acknowledge the authority of the bishops over the Church -the Pope is the head of the bishops while Baptists believe in the authority of the Bible, and it alone. The only authority for Baptist is the Bible.
About the Catholic Church
Catholic Church is the body of churches that are in full communion with the Bishop of Rome, which involves the Roman Catholic Church and 22 Eastern Catholic Churches. While the Roman Catholic Church traces its history to Jesus Christ and the Apostles.
Over the course of centuries, it raised a highly advanced theology and a detailed organizational structure headed by the papacy, the oldest continuing absolute monarchy in the world.
The number of Roman Catholics in the world is higher than that of nearly all other religious traditions. However, there are more Roman Catholics than all other Christians combined and more Roman Catholics than all Hindus or Buddhists. Although, there are lot of Muslims compared to Roman Catholics, the number of Roman Catholics is higher than that of the individual traditions of Shiʿi and Sunni Islam.
About the Baptist Church
Baptists are those who consist of a group of Evangelical Christian churches and denominations. However, the earliest record of a ‘Baptist’ church was in 1609 in Amsterdam, with a pastor named John Smyth, who is an English Separatist.
The first Baptist congregation was founded in North America then grew in both the South and New England. Their church spread to every continent as recommended by Baptist missionaries. The Baptist Church has like 105 million followers worldwide.
Their Baptist belief is concentrated on faith in Jesus Christ alone as the key to salvation. The term ‘baptist’ originates from the Greek word ‘baptidzo’, which simply means “to dip or submerge.” They also believe in the doctrine that baptism is only for those who believe in Jesus Christ and can also express their belief.
The act of baptism is done by completely absorbing the body in water. The Baptist beliefs state that since infants still lack the ability to understand and express their belief, baptism is not for them. Baptism is only for adults or children who are able to declare their faith. Moreover, Baptists believe that baptism does not play any part in salvation. Baptists pray only to Jesus and they do not believe in torture.
Major Difference Between Catholic and Baptist
1. The Roman Catholic was founded in 33 A.D by St. Peter Following the death of Christ
2. Roman Catholic is actually the biggest church known to exist today, compared to the smaller Baptist Church.
3. The main focus of the Baptist Church is salvation through faith in God alone, while the Catholics believe in the same plus the belief in the Holy sacraments as the way to salvation.
4. Baptists believe in adult baptism, or at least to someone who already knows how to believe while Catholics believe in infant baptism.
5. Burning of incense in a thurible that moves from a chain is a famous Roman Catholics rite not practiced by Baptists.
6. Catholics practice the tradition of Lent in the weeks leading up to Easter whereas the Baptist doesn’t.
7. The Pope is the biggest position that can be held in the Catholic Church while the Baptist Church has no formal structure, unlike the Roman Catholic Church.
8. Catholics also believe in the existence of purgation while the Baptists believe in praying to Jesus Christ alone.