Good news! CERN Online Summer Internship Program is presently open. The program is for those studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics who are looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – September).
Deadline of Application: 31st January 2021 at 12:00 Am CET
Eligible Countries: Member and Non-Member countries
CERN Online Summer Internship Program: Over a short period of up to three months, partakers will work on an advanced technical project as part of an experimental, engineering or computing team.
During this three-month period, partakers can attend a series of online lectures that is particularly prepared for them where experts, and scientists from around the globe share their knowledge about an extensive variety of subjects in the areas of: theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering, and computing. Find out further on the Summer Student information page. A short report on partakers work project will be expected at the end of theirs online internship.
Eligibility for CERN Online Summer Internship Program
To qualify for a place on the program applicants will need to satisfy the requirements below:
- Applicant is a BSc or MSc student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have finished, by the European Summer 2021, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- Applicants will remain registered as students during the online studentship with CERN. If applicants expect to graduate during European summer 2021 (as of May), they are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for beyond 3 months and they have not formerly been a Student at CERN (please note that particularly, students who took part in the 2020 online learning initiative are eligible to apply).
- Applicants have good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Applicants of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Online Summer Student Program.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Benefits of CERN Online Summer Internship Program
CERN would very well like to gain from partakers’ commitment and passion, and in return, CERN will provide them with:
- A contract agreement of association of about 3 months to work on a technical project.
- An extensive online physics lecture program (also being able to be present at a series of IT lectures organized by CERN open lab).
- A good allowance ( to be defined)
- Virtual social events for all the partakers to create and nurture the community of 2021 Online Summer Students.
- Online workshops
Duration of Program: 8 weeks
Every Monday from the start of June to the start of July, namely: 7 June, 14 June, 21 June, 28 June and 5 July 2021.
How to Apply for CERN Online Summer Internship Program
Applicants will need the following documents, clearly labeled (e.g. “Curriculum Vitae”, “Motivation letter”, “Transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete their application:
- Curriculum Vitae in either English or French.
- A copy of their most current academic transcript giving an overview of their scores (if they download it from their university portal they should ensure the document is not protected so that we can open it).
- Two compulsory reference letter, from their lecturers/teachers and/or previous internship supervisors.
They must hold all the documents demanded to hand when they begin their application on our career portal (only reference letters should be submitted afterwards).
Once their application has been submitted, they will get a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. They must send this link to at least one referee, so that the referees can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2021).
Visit Program Webpage for Details on CERN Online Summer Internship Program.