Good news! Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries is currently open. There is a notion that the African population will magnify to not beyond three billion by the end of this century. They believe if they can create a bright future for Africa, a continent with so many prospects, humanity’s global prospects will be bright as well.
About Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative began in 2014. Its mission is to contribute to Sub-Saharan Africa’s expanding role in global development through increasing access to higher education abroad. They support orphaned students who are dedicated to returning home and instigating change, by providing access to full monetary support to study at a university overseas (equivalent to an undergraduate degree). Ashinaga funding covers tuition, housing, travel expenses, and other essential fees.
Gender: Men and Women
Application Deadline: February 19, 2021
Benefits of Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries
Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries provides a full scholarship that covers the cost of
- Accommodation (during the terms and vacation),
- Flight, and
- Provides monthly stipend which covers food and necessary academic costs.
Eligibility for Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have finished secondary school and excelled national secondary school examination (technical and vocational degrees not acknowledged) within the last two years (any date after 1st September 2018, including all of 2019 and 2020) or will have finished secondary school and gotten final exam results before February 28th, 2021.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing high school in one of the following countries listed on the website
- Were born after 1st September 1998.
- Do not have the means to attend university abroad without external financial support.
- Are proficient in English or French.
- Are regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school. Students without strong grades are unlikely to be successful.
- Are able to partake in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of a year, before attending university.
- Are committed to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no wards who might interfere with academic development.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
Documents Required for Application
- Completed application form
- Working email address and telephone number
- Document proving the death of one or both parents, such as a death certificate
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate, national ID or passport
- Secondary school/high school graduation certificate
- Results from final national exams
- Academic report cards from the last two years of high school/secondary school
- Passport-style photo of yourself
How to Apply for Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries
Interested and qualified? Go to Ashinga Africa Initiative on ashinaga.smapply.io to apply
There are two stages to the Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries application process;
- Registration: all applicants must first confirm the eligibility by registering for the program. Only students who register for the program and are deemed eligible (based on criteria/eligibility above) will receive the application form.
- Application: all students who register for the program will receive an email with a link to the application form within 1 month of their registration if they are eligible for the program.
We strongly encourage you to apply online using the portal. However, if this is not possible you can also apply using our paper application form. This form can be downloaded here.
After downloading and completing your application you will have to send your scanned form and all relevant documents to [email protected].
NB: There is no application fee, and you must never pay anyone to apply or to apply on your behalf.
For further details on Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from Sub-Saharan African Countries, visit Ashinaga website