The Government of Japan is pleased to announce its AfDB Japan African Dream Scholarship Awards for eligible and deserving students who wish to acquire a degree in Japan. The Scholarship Award program is open to all African students.
About the AfDB Japan African Dream Scholarship Awards 2021/2022
The Japan African Scholarship Program–capacity building in the energy sector through skills development for sustainable development–is a joint initiative by the AfDB and Japan that aims at providing two-year scholarship awards to highly achieving African graduate students to enable them to undergo post-graduate studies (i.e. a two-year Master’s degree program) in priority development areas on the continent and abroad (including in Japan).
This Japan African Dream Scholarships (JADS) program is funded by the Government of Japan. The overarching goal that the AfDB and the Government of Japan seek to attain is to enhance skills and human resources development in Africa in several priority areas pertaining to science and technology, focusing especially on the energy sector.
JAD’s objectives are aligned with the Bank’s High 5 agenda (i.e. Light up and power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa and Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa) and key Japanese development help initiatives to Africa and the 6th Tokyo International Conference for African Development (TICAD VI) outcomes.
Eligibility for the Japan African Dream Scholarship Awards
- Applicants must be a national of an AfDB member country;
- Be in good health;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in the energy area (or related field) earned at least 1 year prior to the application deadline date;
- Have 1 year or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Be accepted unconditionally to register in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master’s degree;
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or their home country are not eligible for scholarships;
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs;
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of many appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
Application Procedure for AfDB Japan African Dream Scholarship Awards 2021/2022
- Applicant completes JADS application form
- Applicant sends documents (application form, university transcripts and certificate, CV, professional references and research proposal), to the JADS Secretariat for first screening through [email protected]
- JADS Secretariat sends shortlist of candidates to selected Japanese universities
- Universities do second screening and share selected students with JADS Secretariat
- JADS Secretariat recommends awardees based on its selection criteria to the Japanese Executive Director for approval
- AfDB contacts selected awardees and informs partner universities.
Application Deadline: Application is Currently Ongoing!
Scholarship Benefits of the AfDB Japan Dream African Scholarship Awards
The JADS Scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- Economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of the study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period.
- Tuition for a graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance are usually got through the university.
- A monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for research and thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship. Please note all JADS scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years, whichever is less.
Area the Scholarship will not cover
- Application (s) costs
- Expenses to bring and/or support scholar’s family members
- Extra-curricular courses or training;
- Language training not provided by the graduate program;
- Additional travel during the study program
- Expenses related to supplementary educational materials, field trips, participation in workshops/seminars, or internships; or
- Educational equipment such as computers.
Sharing is Caring!