Good news! Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students is currently open. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students is a great force academic and leadership platform intended for African secondary school students who have the gift, ambition, energy, and ideas to make significant impacts as young leaders, even before they initiate their university studies. Arriving its sixth year, this intensive program brings together African secondary school students between the ages of 14–18 for a cost-free, intensive academic and residential program.
Controlled by the Yale Young Global Scholars Program and building off that model of interdisciplinary academic curriculum, YYAS partakers will attend lectures led by prominent Yale faculty, seminars made by Yale student instructors, and experiential drills structured to augment their leadership abilities. Partakers will engage in robust scholarly exchanges that are vital to understanding Africa’s most pressing issues and opportunities. Furthermore to the introduction to university application procedures, Yale student-led courses and leadership training, YYAS also offers students standardized test preparation sessions at no cost to the scholars.
Application Deadline: 16th February 2021 at 11:59pm EST.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Summer 2021 YYAS will be held Online
Eligible Field of Study: Any
Type: Training/Short Courses
Eligibility for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline in order to be considered. Please know that a typical YYAS scholar is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: Applicant must be capable to partake in a rigorous academic curriculum carried out in English.
- Citizenship: Applicant must be a national or permanent resident of an African nation. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees residing in an African nation.
- School location: You must presently attend school in an African nation.
- Graduation date: If the applicant attends school in the Northern Hemisphere, applicant must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2021. If applicant attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, applicant must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2020. Students who will graduate secondary school prior to August 2020 are NOT eligible to apply.
If an applicant is presently in final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or is a university student, then the person is NOT qualified to apply.
If you an individual is YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, he/she may NOT apply for YYAS. (*However, if you he/she is a YYAS alumnus/a, he/she can apply to YYGS if eligible.)
Selection Criteria for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
A typical YYAS participant has:
- Excellent academic records
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- Persistence and determination when facing challenges
- High standards of personal and professional conduct
- The capability to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- Have interest in engaging in discussions about intellectual, moral, and political matters in Africa
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Benefits of Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
- To make the program available to students of all economic backgrounds, there is no cost for students to partake in YYAS.
Duration of Program: 25th July to 31st July 2021*
*Program dates are subject to change. Other dates are 1st August to 7th August 2021. A concluding decision will be made before offers of admission are forwarded to students.
How to Apply for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
APPLY NOW for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
Visit Scholarship Webpage for details on Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program for African Students
Vital Note: Please know that there is no charge to apply for, or partake in YYAS. While we share the same online application form as our sister program, YYGS, the application fee section only relates to students who desire to apply for both programs and YYGS only. Students who ONLY desire to apply for YYAS should disregard the financial aid section of the application.