Deadline: Before November 03, 2020
Institution: Canadian institution
Level of Study: PhD (Doctoral)
Study in: Canada
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are open to international students who want to pursue their doctoral studies at top Canadian universities. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is valued at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies. This program objective is to invite and preserve world-class doctoral students who display both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the natural sciences and/or engineering, social sciences and humanities and health.
The Canadian administration began the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s capacity to attract and preserve world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a worldwide focus of excellence in research and higher education learning. Vanier academics portray leadership skills and a great standard of scholarly achievement in academic graduate studies in the natural sciences and/or engineering, social sciences and humanities and health. The academic scholarships are in the direction of a doctoral degree (or combined MA/ Ph.D. or MD/ Ph.D.).
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Health research
- Social sciences and humanities research
Benefits of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is prized at $50,000 yearly for three years throughout doctoral studies.
Eligibility for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
To be qualified for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, following is the criteria:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries:Permanent residents of Canada, Canadian citizens and Foreign citizens
- You should be doing your first doctoral degree (as well as joint undergraduate/graduate research program. For example: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and substantial research element). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is worthy for funding;
- You should not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2021
- You should be chosen by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota
- You should aim to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year after the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating University; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- You must not possess, or have had, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or finish a doctoral degree.
- You should have attained a first-class average, as determined by your academic institution, in each of the previous two years of full-time study or equivalent. Applicants are heartened to communicate with the institution for its definition of a first-class average.
How to Apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
You should visit the official website, link given at the end. Nevertheless, here are significant application guidelines to win Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships:
- Applicants must be chosen by the academic institution at which they want to study. Applicants cannot apply directly to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program.
- Applicants should confirm institutional internal closing dates with the administrator at the nominating institution.
- Applicants ought to read the Selection Committee Guide before commencing their application. This guide itemizes the three evaluation benchmarks and has useful information on how the benchmarks are assessed.
- The Secretariat has curated a list of resources to help applicants, unversities, referees, and evaluators consider equity, diversity, and inclusion in their application. Candidates are heartened to review the resources before they begin writing their application.
Important notes regarding Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
A student who has completed the Vanier CGS electronic applicationmust submit the application online to the Canadian institution that will be putting forward their nomination. The applications cannot be submitted straight to the Vanier CGS program.
- Scholars wanting to apply for a Vanier CGS should confirm that the institution to which they are applying for doctoral studies has a Vanier CGS quota. They have to then inform the University that they wish to be considered for a Vanier CGS.
- The academic institution is accountable for notifying applicants if their application is not selected for nomination to the Secretariat. The scheduling for this notification may vary by institution.
- Centered on its quota, the academic institution will forward its nominations to the Secretariat.
- Each student can only be nominated once. If beyond one academic institution is interested in nominating an individual scholar for a Vanier CGS, the scholar must choose one institution to submit their nomination. Multiple nominations will not be recognized.
- Scholars are accountable for contacting the academic institution for more information about choosing the suitable federal granting agency, finding the appropriate contact person within a department/faculty, and for advice or questions related to content and how best to present the information in their application.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships results will be announced Early April 2021.
To know more about Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) 2021, please visit official website: