The University of Pretoria is pleased to announce its Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship Grants for talented and eligible students. The Fully funded scholarship programme is available to all students and applications are ongoing for the 2022 academic year.
Description of the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship
The University of Pretoria is a research-intensive university. Hence, it is seeking candidates for doctoral studies who will make significant contributions to its research endeavour.
As part of South Africa’s contribution to the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, the University of Pretoria has made funds available for two doctoral scholarships for students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students).
This scholarship is known as the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship and will be awarded competitively. The University of Pretoria has an established reputation for academic excellence, particularly in relation to its major research activities.
Eligible Criteria for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship Grants 2022
In each year, an applicant is eligible for a scholarship provided the following requirements are fulfilled:
- Citizens of Commonwealth countries are eligible to apply. Citizens of South Africa are not eligible.
- The scholarship can be used at Pretoria University.
- Applicants must have finished a degree that will allow them to enter a PhD program within the next three years of applying for this grant.
- At the time of application, applicants must be under the age of 35.
- Students pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree at the University of Pretoria are not eligible to apply.
Selection Criteria for the Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarships
The scholarship will be awarded on these basis:
- Academic performance
- Potential to undertake advanced research activities
- Leadership qualities
- Evidence of research accomplishment at the masters’ level through publications or other appropriate products of the work undertaken
- Prizes and honours received.
Benefits of the Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarships
This Doctoral Scholarship will be worth R150 000. This money is will cover the following expenses for successful students:
- Housing and living costs
- Fees p.a.
- Medical Aid p.a.
- Research costs will be covered by the Supervisor
The University will fund the following additional costs:
- A return flight ticket from your home country is required.
- Shuttle service from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria upon arrival in South Africa, and from Pretoria to OR Tambo upon completion.
- Fees for the application and visa will be returned upon submission of evidence of receipts
Aspiring students must submit the following documentation to the University of Pretoria in order to be eligible for this scholarship:
- An appropriate academic supervisor at the University agrees and motivates the candidate to work under their supervision
- An outline of the research project they want to do (one A4 page)
- The UP Application Form
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) – 4 pages maximum
- Two copies of certified passports,
- Complete academic transcripts for all degrees earned.
- 2 letters of recommendation from professors/supervisors who are familiar with the applicant’s academic performance. Referees should be asked to comment on the qualities of the candidate in the following areas:
- Previous academic achievements
- Their Master’s studies show their research ability.
- Suitability for the proposed research
- The potential for doctoral study in the chosen field.
- Printed version Application Format: Submitted to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre, as well as the recommended supervisor, along with the needed supporting documents or
- Format of electronic application: Inform the proposed supervisor and provide the “T” number details and accompanying documentation to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre.
Kindly subscribe to this newsletter if you are interested in further updates of the Commonwealth Scholarships. Also share to your family and friends.