Good news! United Nations Regional Course in International Law Program is currently open. The United Nations is presenting Regional Course in International Law open to scholars and professionals from intergovernmental and non-governmental institutions and similar bodies involved in international law activities in Africa. The United Nations Regional Course in International Law Program includes seminars on various fields with high-quality training.
Application Deadline: 23rd November 2020
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries (see list below)
Award Provider: United Nations
To be taken at (country): Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Areas of Study
The Regional Courses may comprise seminars on the following topics:
- Introduction to international law
- Treaty law
- State responsibility
- International peace and security
- Peaceful settlement of international disputes
- Diplomatic and consular law
- International organizations
- United Nations institutions and law making
- The Work of the International Law Commission
- African Union law and institutions
- Organization of American States law and institutions
- International human rights law
- Movements of persons
- International humanitarian law
- International criminal law
- International environmental law
- International watercourses
- Law of the sea
- International trade law
- International investment law
- Legal research
- Legal drafting
The Regional Courses make available high-quality training by foremost scholars and practitioners on a broad range of core subjects of international law, as well as specific subjects of specific importance to the nations in a given region. Furthermore, the communicating nature of the training allows the partakers to share experiences and exchange notions, which encourages greater understanding and cooperation on legal matters in the region.
This helps qualified professionals, in particular government officials and tutors of international law from developing nations and republics with emerging economies, to deepen their knowledge of international law and of the legal effort of the United Nations and its allied organizations.
Type: Short course, Fellowship
Eligibility for United Nations Regional Course in International Law Program
To qualify for the United Nations Regional Course in International Law Program, candidates
- Should hold a legal background with professional experience in the area of international law.
- Are obligated to provide a medical certificate of good health and to verify that they are capable to be present at the entire course duration.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is also required.
Selection Standards: When picking partakers for the Regional Courses:
- Good consideration is given to the applicants’ qualifications, to the scope of their professional duties, to the importance of the training to their professional duties and to gender balance.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
- Good consideration is also given to those applicants who are already in Addis Ababa presently.
Number of Awardees: The course will accommodate up to 30 participants.
Benefits of United Nations Regional Course in International Law Program
The fellowship funds the fellowship beneficiary’s travel in economy class, housing, feeding, medical insurance, contribution in the Regional Course and the training materials. In agreement with the policies and procedures governing the administration of United Nations fellowships, partakers will also get a token to fund other living expenses.
Qualified candidates may also apply for self-funded positions. Self-funded partakers carry all expenses related to their participation (travel, housing and living expenses). Training materials and lunches during the weekdays are provided to all participants.
Duration of Program: The Regional Course will be held at the facilities of the ECA in Addis Ababa, from 10 February to 9 March 2021.
Eligible Nations: The program is accessible to applicants from the following nations: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Djibouti, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
How to Apply for United Nations Regional Course in International Law Program
Download and fill the Application Form to apply.
While choosing members for the program, good consideration is given to the candidates’ qualifications, to the scope of their professional duties, to the relevance of the training to their professional duties, and to gender balance. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Good consideration is also given to those applicants who are presently in the host city of the Regional Course (Addis Ababa).
Visit Programme Webpage for details on United Nations Regional Course in International Law Program.