The Kader Asmal Postgraduate Fellowships Program is a South African strand of a broader Ireland Fellows Program run by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs. Kader Asmal Postgraduate Fellowship was set up in 2012 in esteem of the late Professor Kader Asmal, who taught law at Trinity College Dublin for 27 years, specialized in human rights, labor, and international law. He co-founded the Irish Anti-Apartheid Movement in 1963 and served as Chair until he returned to South Africa in 1990. He was part of The ANC Team that negotiated the transition to democracy. Later in his journey, he became Minister for Water Affairs and Forestry in 1994, in the very first ANC Government after the advent of democracy and served as Minister for Education from 1999 to 2004. He died in June 2011.
The Ireland Postgraduate Fellowship award Program empowers young to mid-career professionals from eligible nations, with leadership prospect, to profit from a world-class, prestigious as well as quality education adding to capacity development. It grants selected students the opportunity to undertake a fully funded one-year master’s level program at a higher education institution (HEI) in Ireland. Through this fellowship program, Irish Aid assists students from South Africa to undertake Masters level studies in Ireland in strategically-important disciplines including Finance, Business, Engineering, Sustainable Technologies and Public Health, and Nutrition.
Application Deadline: 31st August 2020
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be taken at (country): Ireland
Fields of Study: In 2021, fellowships will be offered for postgraduate study in:
- Agriculture, Environmental Science, Conservation, Rural Development
- Food Science, Food Engineering and related
- Pharmacy and Biotechnology
- Health, Medicine and Health Economics
- Peace Studies, Development Studies, Conflict Resolution, and Humanitarian Action
- Social Research, Social Policy, Community Development, and Sociology
- Gender Studies, Women’s Studies, and Equality Studies
- Human Rights, Law, and related
- Politics, International Relations, Government, and Ethics
- Hydrology, Engineering, and Sustainable Technology
- Accounting, Economics, Finance, Management, and Business
- Communications Technology and Information Systems
Please see the official link of the fellowship below for a full list of eligible courses.
Type: Masters, Fellowship
Eligibility for Kader Asmal Postgraduates Fellowships
- Should be a resident national of South Africa
- Should have a minimum of two years relevant work experience (this can include internships and volunteering)
- Have an honours’ level academic qualification with a minimum grade point average of 75% (First class honour, or second class honour Grade)
- Should be seeking funding for a full-time postgraduate program in one of the above listed subject areas
- Should be able to take up fellowship in the academic year 2021/2022
- Must not have applied for Kader Asmal Postgraduate Fellowships Programon more than one previous occasion.
Please note, applicants who are already in possession of a Master’s degree are not eligible to apply for the Kader Asmal Postgraduate Fellowships program.
Number of Awardees: Not specified.
Value of Scholarship: Kader Asmal Postgraduate Fellowships will cover:
- university application fees
- tuition fees
- examination and other fees
- an economy travel to and from your country of residence to Ireland;
- a settling in allowance, book allowance and study allowance
- an accommodation
- Every month personal living allowance (stipend) to cover other living expense for you only and
- cover the costs of an entry clearance (student visitor visa) application
All applicants who are selected to go forward to second stage of the Kader Asmal Postgraduate Fellowships will be required to sit an IELTS exam, unless they already have an IELTS certificate that is less than one year old (12 month) at the time of application which shows the applicant has achieved the necessary score for the course they intend to apply to.
How to Apply for Kader Asmal Postgraduate Fellowships
Click below to apply for the Kader Asmal Fellowships for Postgraduate study in Ireland in 2021/2022.
Visit Fellowship Webpage for details