Leiden University Excellence Scholarship invites applications from international students to pursue master’s degree at Leiden University Netherlands. Leiden University Excellence Scholarshipis fully funded and awarded to bright students.
Deadline: February 1 2021 / October 1, 2020
Institution(s): Leiden University
Level of Study: Masters
Study in: Netherlands
All Masters Programs in the following Faculties:
Humanities, Archaeology, Medicine/LUMC, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Governance and Global Affairs, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies.
- The highest study period for a 1-year program is 12 months.
- The highest study period for a 2-year program is 24 months.
Benefits of Leiden University Excellence Scholarship
Leiden University Excellence Scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- Complete tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
Eligibility for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship
To qualify for a Leiden University Excellence Scholarship, candidates must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: Non-EU/EEA international students
- In prior academic education, the student must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the program for which the student wishes to enroll.
- Students should have attained tremendous study results in their former education, this being germane to the Master’s program for which they are applying.
- The student will have a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be entitled to support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans “Studiefinanciering”.
- Continuation of the LExS is not certain when a student alters his or her degree program at the time of the study program. Demands will be looked over case by case and the concluding decision will be made by the Faculty Selection Committee(s). Should the alteration is before the student has registered for the study program, the LExS scholarship will be canceled and the student will have to re-apply for the scholarship.
- LExS is only valid for the period the student is registered at Leiden University as a full time student within the time frame of the study program.
- Scholarship granted for the school session as indicated in the decision letter cannot be transferred to another academic session or to a next intake within the same academic year. Should a student has been granted a LExS for the September (or February) intake and decides to postpone his/her partaking in the study program, the LExS will be canceled. Demands will be looked over case by case and the closing decision will be made by the Faculty Selection Committee(s).
- The student is not permitted to receive any additional full scholarship for the same program, other than in the case of partial scholarships, where this has to be confirmed in writing in advance. The student should alert the Leiden University if another complete scholarship such as the Netherlands Fellowship Program, Jean Monnet etc. has been granted and which scholarship has been accepted.
- For a program lasting more than one year, the student is required to obtain a minimum of 60 ECTS in the first year of study in order to preserve the right to LExS for the following academic session. In cases where there is any uncertainty as to the number of ECTS standards for satisfactory progress and the time and manner in which progress will be measured will be set by the Leiden University Selection Committee.
- A student is allowed to submit several applications for scholarships at one time. Though, it is impossible to join scholarships which are provided or sponsored by Leiden University. This concerns the scholarship programs as follows: Orange Tulip – China and CEU Praesidium Libertatis. Also it is impossible to join the LExS with scholarships which are offered on a bilateral agreement with educational institutes, or any other scholarship which might be offered or funded by Leiden University in the near future
- The student must fulfill the Dutch visa guidelines.
- LExS will not be granted to scholars who are admitted to a second Master program at Leiden University with the exception of scholars applying for a Master program for which a specified previous Master program or work experience is compulsory.
- Leiden University should be alerted as soon as possible of any alteration in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible “Studiefinanciering” support, throughout the academic session.
- If the scholar ends the study prematurely, any demands for refund of tuition fees will be made to Leiden University and analogues to the “Regeling inschrijving, college- en examengeld” for the applicable academic session.
- Throughout the study at Leiden University the student will take an active part in actions to uphold the LExS.
- The student has to accept the granted scholarship by filling out the ‘Acceptance Form LExS’.
How to Apply for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship
Please follow below instructions to avail this Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s program at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship segment of your online application, show that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as directed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for beyond one study program and desire to apply for a LExS for each, specify this evidently in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
To inquire further about Leiden University Excellence Scholarships, please visit Official Website of LexS scholarship.