|Job Field||Administration / Secretarial Education / Teaching|
The post of the Vice Chancellor of Lagos State University will become vacant, effective 11th January 2021 when the tenure of the incumbent expires. In consonance with the relevant provisions of the Lagos State University Law 2004 [as amended], the Governing Council wishes to commence the process of appointing a successor to the out-going Vice Chancellor.
The Lagos Stare University Law 2004 [as amended] provides that the Vice Chancellor shall:
- Exercise general supervision over the University
- Have a general responsibility to the Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the University;
- Ensure that the provisions of the Law, Ordinances and are observed;
- Be a member of Council;
- Be the Chairman of the University Senate,which is the highest decision making body for all academic matters [i.e student admissions, examinations and graduation, establishment of new academic programmes etc.] in the University and
- Have responsibility for maintaining discipline in the University
- The job demands a person who can harness meagre financial resources to full effect in running the University AND who is able to attract grants from financing bodies, especially international donor agencies.
- The candidate should be able to cope adequately with varying needs of staff and students as well as emerging contemporary problems, especially those that are related to social life of students in an increasingly dynamic and urban University.
The Post of Vice Chancellor, Lagos State University
- The Vice Chancellor is a Principal Officer, as well as the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Academic Officer and Chief Image Maker of the University
- The Vice Chancellor will, therefore, be expected to have a deep understanding of the terrain, operations of the University as well as provide strategic vision and leadership to propel Lagos State University as a foremost University in Nigeria, with world-wide recognition.
- The Vice Chancellor will have to play a pivotal role in taking Lagos State University to higher pedestal in the 21st Century.
- It will be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to ensure that standard does not fall in ALL academic programmes, especially in programmes in which the University is highly reputed AND also that relatively new programmes attain enviable standards, such that accreditation granted to academic programmes are sustained.
- The Vice Chancellor must be a proven and successful manager of human and material resources.
The criteria to be met by candidates for the post of Vice Chancell of Lagos State University are that each candidate:
- Should be a distinguished scholar of the rank of Professor often (10) years standing with several years of teaching and research in a University;
- He / she must be an international renowned scholar with clear catalogue of extensive publications in international journals prior to and after attaining the rank of Professor;
- Must be grounded in the finest academic tradition;
- Must be a scholar with international appeal having made significant impact in- areas such as International supervision and examination of PhD, conference presentations etc.
- Must demonstrate relentless scholarship impact within and outside the country in terms of continuous production of books, papers, students supervised (especially PhD), exchanges, collaborations after his / her attainment of the rank of Professor
- Must not be more than 65 years old as at the date of possible assumption of duty on 12th January, 2021;
- Must command high intellectual respect of his / her colleagues.
- Must have a proven track record of University Administration, Management and governance, as well as proven evidence of leadership qualities;
- Must be a visionary leader capable of moving the University into prominence in the 21st century;
- Must posses the ability to sustain harmony between Council, other organs of the University Administration, Staff and Students on one hand and between the University and the host communities on the other hand
- Must demonstrate capacity and requisite skills to lead and inspire Principal Officers, Senior Management and Staff at all levels to realize the core objectives and mandates of the University;
- Must be a very resourceful personality with initiative, vision and drive for sustaining the accelerated pace of development of the University
- Must enjoy excellent physical and mental health,with verifiable certificates to that effect;
- Must be morally upright and of impeccable rectitude;
- Must have national and international exposure beyond academics and must be a distinguished world-class personality.
- Must be a go-getter and must see fund-raising as a major strategy for sustaining the autonomy of the University
- Must be a strategic thinker with passion for digital application and innovation in higher education.
The Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of 5 years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice Chancellor in Nigerian Universities as may be determined from time to time by the Government / Governing Council, as appropriate.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward Twenty-five (25) copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), providing information on the following:
- Full Name
- Place and Date of Birth
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Academic qualifications [degree with classes; copies of certificates to be enclosed].
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial experience
- Academic distinctions
- Membership of Academic AND Professional Bodies
- Scholarly Publications [well referenced]
- Vision for the University in the next Five  years [not more than 5,000 words or a minimum of 1000 words]
- For candidate[s] identified by the Joint Council AND Senate Search Committee, the Curriculum Vitae must be accompanied by a Letter of Consent, duly dated and signed by respective candidate[s].
- Names and Addresses of three  referees who should be able to attest to the candidate’s standing and abilities and academically and managerially, as well as morals character and integrity.
- Each referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward directly to the Registrar, a confidential report, in a properly sealed envelope marked “Reference / Post of Vice-Chancellor” at the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
All applications are to be submitted under Confidential Cover, with the envelope marked “Post of Vice-Chancellor, LASU” sealed and addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Lagos State University,
P.M.B. 0001, LASU Post Office,
Ojo, Lagos State.
Note: Shortlisted candidates will be required to make themselves available for an interview with the Joint Council and Senate Selection Committee at a Date that will be duly and formally conveyed to such candidates in writing.