- The University Librarian is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day – day administration of the University Library.
- He is responsible for the coordination of the Library and Information Services in the University, its Colleges, Faculties, Schools, Departments, Institutes and other teaching or research units.
- The University Librarian is expected to demonstrate awareness of the central nature of Library & Information Services in the teaching, learning and research process and have the ability to instil in members of the University community, the principles of Information and Digital Literacy and commitment to life-long learning.
- The candidate must therefore be in position to provide leadership in the application of Information and Communications Technology in the delivery of quality higher education, research and community service.
- The candidate must also be able to improve on current developments in the University through national and international linkages. The candidate must be in good health and not older than sixty years of age on assumption of duty
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidates for the position of the University Librarian must possess a good Honours Degree with a minimum of Second Class lower as well as Master’s and Doctorate Degrees in Library or Information Science from a recognized University.
- The candidate must be a Principal Librarian with at least ten (10) years’ working experience in a Federal University Library.
- The candidate must possess experience of automation of Library Services. In addition to the academic and professional qualifications, the candidate must possess evidence of membership and registration with the Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN).
- A strong proof of continuing research with appreciable evidence of scholarly publications both in quality and quantum in reputable international and national journals is required.
- The candidate must possess good managerial skills and competencies including a clear understanding of the nature and dynamics of the intricacies in deploying information technologies as tools for the management of information collections in line with global best practices in contemporary University Libraries.
- Candidate is expected to exhibit strong team leadership and mentorship skills and able to inspire and motivate colleagues to support the vision for the development of the University Library.
- The candidate must be focused, innovative, commendable in both character and quality of service.
- The candidate must also exhibit a considerable degree of competence, responsiveness, demonstrable integrity and transparency on matters of financial resource management with an outstanding experience at management level.
- Candidates should provide a succinct vision statement of not more than 500 words relating to the University in the next five years with particular reference to the management of Library & Information Services.
Salary and Conditions of Service
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a University Librarian of Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the University’s Governing Council as appropriate.
- The successful candidate for the position of University Librarian shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years from the effective date of appointment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit twenty-five (25) sets of typed Applications, Photocopies of their Credentials & all relevant documents, and Curriculum Vitae (CV). The CV must contain the following information:
- Full Name (in capital letters)
- Post applied for
- Date of birth
- Place of Birth
- State of origin
- L.G.A of origin
- Nationality (for non-Nigerian)
- Permanent home address
- Current postal address
- Functional email address
- GSM number
- Marital status
- Names and number of children with their dates of birth
- Institutions attended with dates
- Qualifications obtained with dates
- Professional qualification obtained with dates
- General and specific working experience, giving duration, post held and salary
- Details of research work and publications (attached)
- Details of administrative experience and community services with details of status and dates
- Present employment, rank, grade level and step, salary structure and name and address of the employer.
- Extra-curricular activities
- Any other relevant information
- Names and addresses of three referees (one of them Must be his / her former / serving Pro- Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Dean / Head of Department) to individually send, under strict confidential cover referee reports to the Registrar.
The sealed envelope(s) containing the Application, CV and Referee Reports should be marked “Vice-Chancellor” at the top left hand corner.
All applications must be addressed and sent to:
The Registrar & Secretary to Council,
Federal University Wukari,
200 Katsina-Ala Road,
P.M.B 1020, Wukari,