|Job Field||Medical / Health Care|
Location: Synapse Japonica in Port Harcourt
Reports to: Consultant Psychiatrist and Medical Director
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Be present and contactable within clinic premises at all times during work hours except when on other official duties .
- To carry out a physical examination on all patients before admission according to Synapse Policy
- To maintain individual contact with patients, carrying out ward rounds and other duties detailed by the Consultant
- To update clinical notes on all patients according to best practice for record keeping
- To ensure that within a week of admission, patient’s diagnosis in line with ICD is documented on EMR and explained to the patient and Family.
- Ensure that leaflets explaining diagnosis, medication and its effects are given to patient, explained and documented. Encourage consultants to explain diagnosis to patient and document it.
- To respond promptly to the request of all clinical staff (consultants, other doctors and nurses) to see patients within the clinic and to advice or start any treatment as indicated.
- Undertake specific medical procedures on patients within the clinic as requested by medical and nursing staff: cannulation, commencing i.v infusions, administration of i.v drugs, etc.
- To type and file discharge summaries on all patients discharged from Synapse Services within 72 hours of discharge
- Must ensure every patient discharged from Synapse Services sees a doctor within 7 days post discharge
- Run regular follow up clinics and encourage patient attendance
- Carry out home visits to review patients
- Lead a clinical team to pick up patients from the community for admission
- Partake in On call duties
- Run a smoking cessation clinic
- Contribute to and be a part of Synapse Business Team
- Be part of the team that makes contact with Organizations to seek clients for Synapse
- Carry out presentations at clinical meetings in various hospitals to inform them of our clinical services
- To examine a sick/injured member of clinic staff and offer appropriate advice in respect of treatment
- Liaise regularly with Service Manager to discuss service improvement
- Carry out regular teaching sessions directed at Nurses, Support Workers and Psychologists.
- Be a part of interview panels during staff recruitment
- Be a member of Synapse Middle management committee and attend line Management meetings
- Be a co-chair for Synapse Educational meetings
- Will be asked to be part of other adhoc committees if and when necessary
- Take a lead role in developing and writing proposals for Synapse japonica Services
- Be a facilitator on some of Synapse Services Training programs
- Read understand and adhere to clinic policies and procedures
- Will be a clinical and managerial lead
- Will be a part of the Business Development team
Health and Safety and Quality Assurance:
- Be familiar, understand and adhere to all Health and Safety regulations including evacuation policy and the medical officer’s role in such an event
- Be aware of the promotion of effective customer care and public relations in order to promote the good reputation of the clinic
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Line Manager is essential
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
- Post Graduation qualifications including Masters programs are desirable
- Experience in non-clinical settings that demonstrates exposure to other industries is desirable.
- Relevant experience in mental health is desirable
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in Clinical care and patient management.
- Will be sponsored to internal training programs and if exceptional will be exposed to international training programs
- Will be expected to engage in self-directed learning.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications and CVs to: [email protected]
Note: The subject of the email should be the job title- location e.g “Senior Medical Officer – Port Harcourt” failure to abide by this would lead to automatic disqualification.