|Job Field||Finance / Accounting / Audit|
- The position of Senior Accountant is responsible for the maintenance of the OPEC Fund’s chart of accounts and their balances, complete quarterly accounting closing and preparation of accurate and timely financial statements in conformity with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) accounting principles.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements an adequate Internal Control System and supports the Director, Financial Controls in coordinating policy development
- Updates accounting policies in line with IFRS and implements applicable new standards
- Leads the implementation of enhancement to existing and/or new SAP-based multi-modular accounting systems
- Oversees budget implementation and compliance, using as a reference the approved administrative budget and cost center allocation
- Ensures internal controls are fully integrated, embedded and continuously strengthened in the reporting processes and accounting systems in accordance with business needs
- Reviews and monitors records of all incoming and outgoing accounting and financial working documents into the General Ledger
- Conducts reconciliation, ensuring uniformity and consistency in recording and reporting transactions
- Performs quarterly accounting closings for financial reports
- Produces financial statements and other financial reports, accurately and on time
- Coordinates engagement with internal and external auditors
- Coordinates the work of the Accounting function
- Develops and mentors junior staff and supports personal development plans
- Formulates solutions and recommendations, and provides central direction and control over complex theoretical and practical accounting, budgeting and reporting matters not covered by standard practice or precedent
- Identifies improvement opportunities in all areas of accounting; initiates evaluation studies and analysis, and provides Management with recommended solutions
- Carries out other related duties as may be directed by the Director, Financial Controls.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Accounting and Control/Business Administration, majoring in Accounting, Financial Management or other relevant fields
- Recognized accounting certification such as CA or CPA
- A minimum 10 years of relevant experience
- Preferably 3-5 years of experience in an international development institution
- Preferably a certification/diploma in financial reporting under IFRS.
- Demonstrable experience in working with financial reporting and knowledge of IFRS
- Familiarity with SAP-FI R3 ERP system
- Fluent in English. A good working knowledge of other major languages is an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, teamwork and analytical skills, as well as high level of integrity and drive for achieving results
- Demonstrable ability to work in an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to The OPEC Fund for International Development on careers.opecfund.org to apply.