Position: Research Associate
Location: Ibadan Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Date Posted: 18th December 2019 Closing Date: 8th January 2020
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable applicants for the position
below at the Institute’s Headquarters in Ibadan:
Position: Research Associate
Contract: 2-year renewable contract Location: Ibadan
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
• Supervise field/laboratory research activities across plantain breeding and trial
sites, breeding operations including field preparation and layout, field
management, pollinations, and data collection;
• Responsible for updating and maintaining trial records and pedigree records on
banana breeding database (MUSABASE) and backstop plantain breeding staff on
digital data entry and use of applicable software; and liaise with the banana
breeding team in East Africa;
• Assist in designing experiments, collating data, running statistical analysis
(ANOVAS for comparing genotype performance for single location and multienvironment trials), conduct literature search and prepare good quality reports;
• Supervise germplasm multiplication and distribution activities for the programme;
• Keep track of hybrids being used worldwide and organise feedback;
• Plan and ensure procurement of supplies for laboratory, field, screen house
activities, oversee hiring and supervision of casual labour for various operations
while maintaining strict control of budget expenditures;
• Supervise junior staff and assist in annual performance appraisals;
• Assist graduate students on their research projects and trainees/interns as
• Assist the IITA plantain breeder with reporting to donors;
• Perform all other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
MSc in Plant Breeding, Crop Production, Agronomy or related discipline with minimum of
three (3) years’ related experience in a related role in an agricultural research organization
or equivalent experience is desired.
The ideal candidate must:
• Possess excellent computer skills in MS-Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and
• knowledge in experimental design and use of statistical analysis packages
• Have excellent writing and oral communication skills in English.
• Be well organized and work effectively in a team, able to work under pressure and
meet deadlines, implement protocols, troubleshoot and train subordinates.
• Be experience in database management and use of statistical analysis software
(particularly R) would be considered as an advantage.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working
conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter
and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA website:
http://jobs.iita.org/erecruit no later than Two Weeks from the date of this publication. The
application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees
which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional
colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.