|Job Field||Security / Intelligence|
Career Category: Program / Project Management
- Acts in the role of Security & Safeguarding Advisor in a regional role in the Anglophone part of the CBM AFWC region: Develops a regional security and safeguarding strategy based on headquarters and country information.
- Identifies risks and threats and develops systems of early warnings.
- Coordinates with countries in the design, testing and communications of appropriate security and safeguarding plans and programmes.
- Develops and documents regional risk assessments and security management plans and programmes.
- Provide appropriate support to Countries’ Security Focal and Safeguarding Points.
- While based in Nigeria and primarily supporting CBM’s work in Nigeria (75%), the Regional Security and Safeguarding Advisor works under the guidance and supervision of the Country Director Nigeria. S/he is supported by the Global Security & Safeguarding Manager, the Safeguarding Manager and the Regional Hub Director for regional assignments which take up 25% of time.
- S/he works in a functional management/advisory role and in close coordination and consultation with CBM local staff, advisers and project partners. S/he will develop and implement Safety & Security (S&S) and Safeguarding plans and strategies. These shall:
- Hold responsibilities as the Safeguarding Focal Point for the respective region, with responsibility for advising, training, coordinating, monitoring and reporting in line with the established organization’s procedures.
- Hold responsibilities as the S&S Focal Point for the respective region, with responsibility for advising, training, coordinating, monitoring and reporting in line with the established organization’s procedures.
- Ensure compliance with the Safeguarding Policy, S&S Policy, Code of Conduct and other CBM staff policies.
Planning and Compliance – In line with CBM’s S&S Policy:
- Ensure that the regional country offices have a Security Risk Assessment and a Country Security Plan that is regularly updated at least annually.
- Ensure that the S&S plans include local characteristics of the different locations and that practices are disability inclusive and gender sensitive.
- Conduct periodic field security assessments and report with findings and recommendations.
- Inform CD, RHD and Global S&S Manager of areas of concern and non-compliance.
- Support CBM country offices and CBM partners to continuously build their security and safeguarding systems.
- Support Health promotion initiatives at regional office and country offices.
- In line with CBM’s Children and adults-at-risk Safeguarding Policy:
- Support the regional country offices to have country Safeguarding Plans that are regularly updated at least annually.
- Support Country Offices/partners to have safeguarding risk assessments at partner and or project level.
- Ensure that each country has an up-to-date Safeguarding referal map.
- Assist country offices to support partners in any donor safeguarding compliance requirements or deadlines.
Staff Orientation & Training:
- Ensure all CO staff obtains annual security and safeguarding training.
- Support the security and safeguarding systems for the regional office and respective country offices and train the local security and safeguarding focal points.
- Provide pre-travel security briefings to CBM travelling staff.
- Monitor and report safeguarding and S&S incidents, develop and keep a database of incidents, including threats, responses, vulnerabilities and lessons learned and provide timely feedback to the respective CDs, RHD, Global S&S Manager and Safeguarding Manager;
- Make frequent visits in the different working locations of the region to monitor security and safeguarding management and report key findings and recommendations;
- Monitor and help maintain Minimum Operational Security Standards in CBM offices in the region.
- Manage travel S&S of staff and visitors and ensure travel in the region is tracked.
- Conduct safeguarding assessments based on need.
- Develop and maintain network of NGO, UN and corporate security and safeguarding focal points;
- Make recommendations to reduce vulnerabilities of CBM staff, partners and communities;
- Participate actively in regional and global S&S and Safeguarding related matters and networks;
- Emergency Response and Incident (Crisis) Management
- Ensure that the S&S and Safeguarding Plans are quickly adapted to an emergency situation arising in a country;
- Support emergency response and NTD programs in S&S matters;
- As required, support and advise the senior management teams of the CO, the RHO, and the International Office, during emergencies and/or critical incidents.
- Provide incident management support to local partners.
- Conduct incident management debrief and review sessions with incident managers.
- Ensure Safeguarding and S&S investigations (based on incidents) are dealt with within the given time frame and professionally by involving all stakeholders necessary followed by a complete documentation.
- Promote implementation of CBM’s Safeguarding and Security policies and procedures.
- Provide Safeguarding and S&S trainings and audits to the regions with measurable impact.
- Ensure confidentiality about sensitive Safeguarding and S&S issues at all times.
Education, Knowledge, and Professional Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or above in a related field (Administration, Management, social studies etc.), or an equivalent combined education and work experience.
- 5 years leadership experience in security and / or safeguarding management in an INGO setting in the region.
- 5 years experience and knowledge of personnel and organizational security and safeguarding issues, conducting threat/risk assessments, management, reporting and awareness raising in an insecure environment.
- Proven track record in conceptualizing, developing and implementing a Security and Safeguarding Plans in an inclusive manner.
- Proven experience to facilitate trainings.
- Working experience in an INGO setting.
- Willingness to continue to sharpen skills and technical knowledge.
- Ability to travel frequently within the region, including to less secure environments.
- English professional proficiency
- Working knwoldege of French will be an advantage.
- Experience with Microsoft packages including Outlook, Word, Power point and Excel.
- Experience with use of virtual collaboration/ e-learning software such as GotoMeeting and Teams.
- Developing Others
- Persuasive Communication
- Interpersonal Awareness
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Diagnostic Information Gathering
- Technical Expertise
- Conceptual Thinking
- Stress Management.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- The future job holder will adhere to CBM’s values and commits to CBM’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy.
- CBM encourages persons with disabilities to apply for this position.
- The role is a permanent contract located in Abuja, Nigeria. This position has a national compensation package and is subject to local employment and immigration laws.