Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50078381
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization (PIVP) is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Division:
- In line with the Bank Ten-Year Strategy, and consistent with the High 5 strategies, the Division drives the Bank’s trade development agenda, including trade policy, trade facilitation and investment climate.
- The Division’s work is carried out in close collaboration with the PIVP Complex, the Regional Integration Department (RDRI), the Economic Governance and Agriculture Complexes, and the regional hubs of the Bank.
- The Principal Trade Expert will focus on the design and implementation of trade development and trade facilitation programs. This includes but is not limited to the development of national or regional trade strategies, the design and implementation of value chains, standards upgrading, customs modernization, transport facilitation or knowledge management programs and projects.
- The Principal Trade Expert will also act as the Coordinator of the Africa Trade Fund the Bank’s premier trade-related technical assistance fund.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Manager, Trade and Investment Climate Division, the incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Day-to-day management of the Secretariat of the Africa Trade Fund, including monitoring and reporting of strategic and operational performance, external relations and resources mobilization;
- Strengthening the trade integration work-streams with emphasis on developing projects/programmes that are operationally relevant for the Bank;
- Assist in defining and expanding the Division’s trade integration agenda and to mainstream the Division’s activities into the Bank’s operational and analytical work;
- Providing technical and advisory services to Regional Member Countries (RMCs), Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and the private sector, to assist them implement programmes/projects that will move the regional and trade integration agenda on the continent forward;
- Contributing to the preparation of the trade-related aspects of Country Diagnostic Notes (CDNs) and Country Strategy Papers (CSPs);
- Building partnerships and coalitions within and outside the Bank, especially with traditional development partners such as the International Trade Center, the World Bank, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development and the World Trade Organization;
- Provide support to other duties as assigned by the Manager.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in Law, Economics, International Trade / Relations, or Related International Development fields;
- At least six (6) years of progressively responsible experience on issues related to trade and regional integration; project management; and trust fund management. Operational experience in Africa will be an advantage;
- Strong client orientation with commitment to results on the ground and operational experience;
- Knowledge of Africa’s trading environment and the global trading system;
- Proven ability to conduct research, analyse trade topics and produce high-quality analytical reports. Publications on topics related to trade and regional integration would be an added advantage;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate ideas effectively;
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix management environment, both as a team leader and team member;
- Client and results-oriented individual, with strong analytical and communication (both verbally and in writing) skills, sense of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a good knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
Method of Application
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected](link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank – AfDB on www.afdb.org to apply