|Job Field||Engineering / Technical|
Institution: ECOWAS Parliament
Directorate: Directorate Of Administration & Finance
Division: Infrastructure Division
Line Supervisor: Director, Administration & Finance
- Under the supervision of the Director, Adminstration and Finance, the incumbent will maintain the estate and facilities of the Parliament, maintain IT infrastructure & services, ensure security and manage the transport fleet.
- IT Officer
- Facility Officer
- Transport Officer
- Security Officer
Role and Responsibilities
- Plan, co-ordinate and supervise the work and the staff of the Division;
- Serve as contact person in matters relating to the management, maintenance, re-modelling and security of Parliament’s Secretariat;
- Co-ordinate and execute all engineering works on properties of the Parliament in the fields of civil, mechanical or electrical engineering;
- Liaise with the Headquarters Landlord regarding maintenance contracts, re-modelling projects and building safety;
- Evaluate, investigate and report on any problems in the Headquarters building or any other properties used by the Parliament. Evaluate and follow up on insurance arrangements for the building(s). Make recommendations for improvements;
- Liaise with contractors and service providers to ensure that works and services are delivered as per signed contracts in an efficient and timely manner;
- Advise on the allocation of office accommodation and equipment;
- With the assistance of the Security Officer, manage matters relating to security within the Headquarters building and any other building used by the Parliament. Ensure the safety of persons, equipment and assets of the Institution in these premises;
- With the assistance of the Transport Officer, manage the transport fleet of the Parliament;
- With the assistance of the IT Officer, maintain excellent IT infrastructure and services;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Masters Degree (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Public Works, Electrical / Electromechanical Engineering, Telecommunications / Electronics Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Economics, Business Administration or Finance, with extensive experience in infrastructure projects, or any Masters degree in Applied Science related to infrastructure, from a recognized University.
- 10 years of progressive experience of applied infrastructure analysis in a developing country context, working on policy development processes and programmes, planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of information systems and telecommunications, of which at least 2 years relevant international work and 2 years at a supervisory level;
- Knowledge and understanding of international aid, collating, analyzing and presenting evidence/research using statistical and wider analytical skills, economic concepts and appraisal;
- Knowledge of infrastructure provision in state rebuilding such as infrastructure service provision in disaster, conflict and post-conflict situations, including emergency provision to different population groups (e.g. homeless, refugees urban, rural);
- Demonstrated knowledge of infrastructure project management and development and infrastructure service delivery;
- Demonstrated knowledge of information systems and telecommunications technologies for large and complex geographically dispersed organizational environments;
- Knowledge of ICT industry benchmarks, policies and standards for performance, enhance services and performance management with demonstrated ability to lead a programme transformation;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity, confidentiality and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Knowledge of program management at the level usually acquired from a certification in program management.
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs/projects that will best serve the community/organization;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to manage and co-ordinate client management initiatives and make recommendations;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful and respectful of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within West Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability to create a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths bringing together innovative practices;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to serve the interest of culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/communities and persons with disability without prejudice and bias
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social situation and trends in Member States, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS best practices, program management approaches and research techniques to lead and/or contribute to the development or assessment of programs, projects or initiatives;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS rules and procedures in order to appropriately interpret and apply directive or text, provide technical advice, coach others and assess performance.
- Ability to analyze a situation by using indicators to assess the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success in making decisions;
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to break down very complex situations/information into simple terms to explain recommendations and conclusions aimed at solving problems or improving operations/programs/projects;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective.
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Accomplished technical writing and editing skills;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Ability to give constructive feedback, provide recognition, address shortcomings and motivate direct reports to work at peak performance;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Organizational and project/program management skills with significant experience identifying timelines, targets, costs and resources necessary to deliver on operational/program/project outputs in line with result based management approach;
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to use participatory approach in project planning and identify gaps affecting the achievement of program/project expectations and to design and implement intervention plans required to build the desired task;
- Ability to implement rigorous monitoring and evaluation practices and to set in place regular reporting schedules relevant to key outputs;
- Ability to plan, organize, control resources, and to comply with policies, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
UA66, 123.98, USD104, 330.42
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Interested and qualified? Go to Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) on www.ecowas.int to apply