The USAID-funded Nigeria Lake Chad Basin (NLCB) program plans to produce a series of written, photo and video stories about its implementation. The Media Producer will take a lead role in developing these stories, collaborating with NLCB program staff to identify stories, sites, and beneficiaries, write the scripts and edit short video products (ranging from 1 minute to 5 minutes) for an international audience. The Media Producer will supervise a Photographer – Videographer. Work will take place primarily in Nigeria’s North West and North Central regions.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Media Producer will report to the Deputy Chief of Party – Program. The Media Producer is also expected to work in close collaboration and take direction from Creative’s Senior Director of Communications and a Writer/Editor/Producer (both based in Washington, D.C.) and the Chief of Party. While the position is nominally based in Abuja, the Media Producer will be expected to travel frequently to North West and North Central Nigeria.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Coordination and pre-production
- Plan, envision and produce inspiring and informational short videos documenting NLCB’s interventions, as well as the social & political context in North West and North Central Nigeria that necessitates USAID’s intervention.
- Brainstorm and propose video story ideas to the senior management team and USAID/OTI.
- Turn the approved story ideas into an editorial calendar.
- Develop and manage a production schedule, including collaboration with Security, Logistics and other departments.
- Actively participate in weekly implementation meetings and strategy discussions with USAID and other partners.
- In collaboration with the Logistics and Procurement Departments, develop technical specifications for goods and services required in the media production process.
- Develop and monitor budgets related to media production.
- Develop and maintain relations with program stakeholders, including government officials, security agencies, community leaders, civil society organizations to gain access to sites and interlocutors.
- Supervise consultants who may be hired to support video productions.
- Travel with the NLCB team to locations that may include, but are not limited to, North West and North Central Nigeria on a weekly basis.
- Collaborate with Program staff and Security on the daily filming agenda and make changes as needed.
- Advise Abuja about changes to the production schedule and that may affect the outcome of the production.
- Conduct interviews with program stakeholders, on or off camera.
- Supervise a Photographer – Videographer, including providing her/him with a preliminary “shot” list and general direction about filming locations.
- Review each day photos and video footage NLCB staff.
- Supervise the photographer/videographer’s logging of video and the captions for the photos.
- Maintain a file of signed video authorization forms.
- Write scripts for approval by supervisor.
- Identify b-roll and photos that illustrate each video.
- Insert lower thirds and subtitles into final videos.
- Productions must meet (and ideally exceed) Creative’s and USAID’s quality and production standards.
- Meet USAID’s branding requirements.
- Ensure that all products are accurate and provide context of the local situation.
- Maintain an archive of photos and video footage that may be uploaded to SharePoint.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the media product distribution strategy online and through conventional channels, including close collaboration with Creative and USAID.
- Participate in pre-trip logistics calls, including Security briefings.
- Coordinate with Creative and NLCB staff on trip logistics and equipment and adhere to schedule and itinerary provided.
- Comply with all guidance and policies of Creative’s Security team.
- Complete any other task at the request of the senior management team.
- All work for this program, including (but not limited to) photography, videography and edited videos, will be the property of Creative.
- With the prior permission of the Chief of Party and the Media Producer, the photographer/videographer may use a selection of material for her/his professional portfolio. The Chief of Party and/or Media Producer may rescind this permission without prior notice.
Creative will provide all needed equipment, including camera, lens, tripod and microphone, as well as editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro).
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in journalism, filmmaking, media studies or related field is required.
- Provide a portfolio of professional work that demonstrates consistent, high-quality filmmaking, video or media productions.
- Five years of general work experience; three years of specific experience in film making or media production required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft Office software, particularly Word is required.
- Ability to edit video in Adobe Premiere Pro strongly preferred.
- Strong leadership abilities and capacity to motivate a team.
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative.
- Demonstrate completion of one or more professional-level classes, training and/or workshops related to media production and/or filmmaking is strongly desired.
- Able to fly in commercial aircraft to and from Abuja.
- Able to travel during extended periods of time in NLCB vehicles to activity locations
- Attention to detail and ability to follow up on tasks until completion is required.
- Experience working in a conflict and highly volatile environment is necessary.
- Fluency in one or more of the languages spoken in North West and North Central Nigeria is preferable.
- DISCLAIMER – All work for this program, including (but not limited to) photography, videography and edited videos, will be the property of Creative. With the prior permission of the Chief of Party and the Media Producer, the photographer/videographer may use a selection of material for her/his professional portfolio. The Chief of Party and/or Media Producer may rescind this permission without prior notice
Method of Application
Qualified applicants MUST submit the following documents to [email protected]
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) listing all their work experience and qualifications; AND
- A cover letter
Please reference the job title and location on the subject line, your cover letter and resume/CV.