|Job Field||Law / Legal|
- The Lead Compliance Officer reports to and assists the Senior Director, General Counsel in identifying, prioritizing, and assigning accountability for managing potential threats related to regulatory or policy non-compliance- or ethical misconduct- that could lead to fines or penalties, reputational damage,.
- The position monitors and ensures compliance with internal rules and regulations at all levels in accordance with relevant institutional frameworks, in order to foster an ethical culture and an environment of high integrity in the interactions amongst staff and stakeholders of the OPEC Fund.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Formulates an annual compliance program, which includes identifying areas for compliance review and creating awareness of the importance of compliance and the risks of violations
- Coordinates the OPEC Fund Compliance Function and manages compliance risk, which includes the risk of legal or regulatory sanctions, material financial loss or loss to reputation that the OPEC Fund may suffer as a result of its failure to comply with law, rules, regulations and standards
- Ensures institutional compliance with laws and regulations in every aspect, including governance, internal structure, decision-making processes, principles of procurement and principles of corporate social responsibility, access to information policy, sustainability reporting and adherence to internal instructions
- Ensures operational compliance in every aspect, including compliance with guidelines on Know Your Customer (KYC), Anti-Money Laundering, terrorist financing and tax evasion, as well as compliance in relation to the development of new products or business practices. This also covers assessing integrity risks related to projects financed by the OPEC Fund and to stakeholders that the OPEC Fund works with, including entities responsible for the implementation of projects financed by the OPEC Fund
- Monitors professional conduct compliance in every aspect and investigates violations relating to conflict of interest, insider trading and compliance with the Codes of Conduct established for the Board, Management and Staff
- Ensures compliance with regulatory regimes, particularly in respect of the borrowing program, including reporting requirements, relevant market regulations, and related administrative tasks to avoid liabilities
- Conducts periodic compliance review in accordance with an approved annual work plan and provides specialist guidance on the required action-plans for addressing significant deviations identified in the review, resolving complex or contentious queries and issues; and enabling others to take appropriate actions
- Liaises with peer institutions to regularly identify best practices that could inform the review and update of OPEC Fund internal and external integrity policies
- Works with external stakeholders (authorized officials of partner countries/institutions, law firms and other counterparties) and internal stakeholders (OPEC Fund departments/units) Carries out other tasks assigned by the Senior Director, General Counsel that are related to the job function.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Law and Admission to the Bar or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience, including five years at a senior level
- Preferably up to two years of experience at an international development finance institution/ international law firm.
- Ability to independently manage the Compliance Function, contribute to the development of the work program, conduct compliance reviews and monitor the implementation of agreed action plans
- Ability to coordinate a complex range of activities with a view to achieving departmental objectives
- Fluent in English. A good working knowledge of other major languages is an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, teamwork and analytical skills, as well as high level of integrity and drive for achieving results
- Demonstrable ability to work in an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to The OPEC Fund for International Development on careers.opecfund.org to apply.