|Job Field||NGO / Non-profit|
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Functional and Managerial Lines
- The Head of Mission reports to the Desk Programs Manager based in Abuja
- He/she supervises all the project coordinators and the coordinators of the support departments
- He/she works closely with the authorities and NGO partners.
- He/she creates links with other national and international NGOs, United Nations agencies and state and non-state organizations.
Mission and Main Activities:
- The Head of Mission is the representative of ALIMA in Nigeria at Federal Level as well as at local level in Borno State. He/She is here to manage the Nigeria mission, by ensuring that the functioning of all projects is matching ALIMA’s main objective in Borno State.
- Within the following frame, the HoM is independent and responsible to define and achieve the following operational objectives
We want to provide and ensure an appropriate medical response in emergency and if conditions permit, in early recovery situation:
- Ensure permanent monitoring of the political, humanitarian and health situation of the state (+ surrounding states in Nigeria + surrounding countries)
- Analyze the consequences of ALIMA interventions (risks, constraints, priorities)
- A rational use of means and resources to carry out emergency projects – Projects implementation supervision
We want to be known and accepted by the population as well as concerned authorities in Nigeria:
- Negotiating and renewing the terms of collaboration (MOU) between ALIMA and the Government or any other institution involved, and keeping national partners informed about ALIMA’s activities on a regular basis.
- Monitor permanent follow up of potential emergencies in the Northeastern part of Nigeria
- Create and maintain up a solid network in Nigeria (key persons/institutions)
We want to protect our beneficiaries and our team from the high and volatile insecurity:
- Bearing the final responsibility for security in the Mission.
- Evaluating the risks and threats linked to the implementation of ALIMA’s activities throughout the Mission.
- Defining and updating the mission’s security policy (in consultation with the teams) and submitting it to the Desk PM for approval.
- Checking compliance with security rules (by holding regular meetings) as set out in the security guidelines, which S/he updates on a regular basis. Checking that international and delocalized personnel receive any necessary security briefings, and stays informed of any risk in all the projects.
- Maintaining up a network of information allowing the monitoring of developments in risks and threats.
- Keeping Headquarters informed of any new risks taken and developments in the security context.
- Alerting the Desk PM immediately of all security incidents or threats that could have an impact on the Mission, the personnel’s security and/or ALIMA’s affairs
- Writing up reports on each incident linked to security and carefully follow up those affecting ALIMA personnel and monitoring its aftermath, and developing scenarios and contingencies, adopting our programmes and staff setup to minimise risks and exposures
- In collaboration with the PM, setting up a Crisis Cell in the event of a serious incident if deemed necessary.]
Our 4 years of presence has shown us how worrying the medical situation of Nigerian populations in Borno State is: we want to deploy the necessary means to stay beneficiaries/patient-oriented action:
- Supervising the project proposals according to the needs on field. Ensures that the distress of the populations affected is documented, described and appropriate responses are proposed.
- Writing and sharing periodic operational reports
- Evaluating the need of opening new projects
- Ensuring an effective internal and external communication policy for the projects
We need a solid and cohesive team on the field, to provide the best and in time care:
- Leading, briefing/debriefing, coaching, etc. of team members
- Definition of job profiles, monitoring, goal setting, support and evaluation of ALIMA employees in the CAR;
- Organization and facilitation of coordination team meetings.
- Drafting of individual action plans for the Project Coordinators and other coordinators in collaboration with their technical referents at headquarters.
Experience and Skills
- University Degree in Medicine, Public Health or Paramedical, International relations or any other relevant education
- Previous experience working with ALIMA in a similar role is an asset. Project management experiences with ALIMA or international medical NGO, at least three years, is required
- Experience in Security Management; conflict or post-conflict, access constrained and resource-poor context.
- Strategic vision, large portfolio and multi-donor budget management. Knowledge of and experiences with key institutional and development donors eg OFDA, ECHO, EU, UNICEF
- People management
- Strong negotiation skills with key government, donors and partner organizations.
- Ability to delegate, and at the same time, to follow up several projects in several areas
- Strong leadership and ability to inspire and bring together various profiles, team management as well as management/ training capacity
- Strong organizational capacities;
- Ability to work rapidly under short deadlines
- Proven writing and spoken English are required; knowledge of the local language is an asset
- Language: English is mandatory (written, read, and spoken), French is an asset.
- Contract Term: contract under French law, contract length: 12 months (renewable, based on funding availability and performance)
- Position to be filled: between 15th of April and 1st of May, 2020
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) on candidatures.alima.ong to apply