|Job Field||Hospitality / Hotel / Restaurant|
|Location||Akwa Ibom State|
Job Number: 20051709
Location: Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
Position Type: Management
Job Category: Housekeeping & Laundry
- Responsible for the daily shift operations of Housekeeping, Recreation / Health Club and, if applicable, Laundry.
- Directs and works with employees to ensure property guestrooms, public space and employee areas are clean and well maintained.
- Completes inspections and holds people accountable for corrective action. Position assists in ensuring guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Core Work Activities
Managing Housekeeping Operations:
- Ensures guest room status is communicated to the Front Desk in a timely and efficient manner.
- Works effectively with the Engineering department on guestroom maintenance needs.
- Supervises the property general cleaning schedule.
- Obtains list of rooms to be cleaned immediately and list of prospective check-outs or discharges to prepare work assignments.
- Inventories stock to ensure adequate supplies.
- Supervises daily Housekeeping shift operations and ensures compliance with all housekeeping policies, standards and procedures.
- Assists in the ordering of guestroom supplies, cleaning supplies and uniforms.
- Supports and supervises an effective inspection program for all guestrooms and public space.
- Inspects guestrooms on a daily basis.
- Communicates areas that need attention to staff and follows up to ensure understanding.
- Participates in departmental meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Ensures all employees have proper supplies, equipment and uniforms.
Managing Departmental Costs:
- Participates in the management of the department’s controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Understands the impact of department’s operations on the overall property financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Comprehends budgets, operating statements and payroll progress reports as needed to assist in the financial management of the department.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service:
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Understands the brand’s service culture.
- Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans to improve guest satisfaction.
Conducting Human Resources Activities:
- Participates as needed in the investigation of employee accidents.
- Supervises staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs, and financial objectives are met.
- Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals.
- Uses all available on the job training tools to train new room attendants and provide follow-up training as necessary.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, providing feedback as needed.
- Assists as needed in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members with the appropriate skills.
- Supports a departmental orientation program for employees to receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Participates in employee progressive discipline procedures.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; 2 years experience in the housekeeping or related professional area; OR
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; no work experience required.
- Adaptability – Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
- Communication – Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behaviour, and models active listening to ensure understanding.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Professional Demeanor – Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams – Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results – Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing – Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and / or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships – Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and / or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability:
- Organizational Capability – Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and / or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management – Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise:
- Applied Learning – Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and / or others.
- Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Cleaning Materials, Equipment, and Techniques – Knowledge of use, handling, storage, and disposal of cleaning chemicals and equipment (including Material Safety Data Sheet requirements), and use of personal protective equipment.
- Housekeeping Tracking and Inventory – Knowledge of inventory and purchasing policies, procedures, and best practices. This includes the ability to track and maintain inventory, order and track receivables and payments, set up and maintain inventory systems or logs, and basic cart care.
- General Housekeeping – Knowledge of procedures, policies and techniques for cleaning all public areas, trash handling and removal, room item replenishment and placement, treatment of room damage and stain removal, use of cleaning supplies, floor care and maintenance, general housekeeping codes, cart care, spa linen, uniform control, inventory management, room status change systems and opening and closing of the house. Ability to use general housekeeping codes to indicate room readiness.
- EIWO (Everything In Working Order) – The ability to inspect and identify guest room components (e.g., light bulbs, remote control, air conditioning units, toilets, appliances, vacuums) for functional deficiencies. This includes reporting procedures.
- Environmental Sustainability – Knowledge of products and procedures that reduce, recycle or reuse natural resources such as bed linen and towel re-use programs.
- Preventative Maintenance – Knowledge of general cleaning programs and policies to extend the life of materials and areas. For example, knowledge of carpet, tile, and floor care including daily cleaning, heavy extraction, and interim cleaning.
- Purchasing and Materials Management – Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control.
Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities:
- Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning – Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension – Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension – Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing – Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Marriott International, Inc. on jobs.marriott.com to apply
Note: Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.