Locations: (Remote) Lagos, Nairobi, Kigali, Kampala
What You’ll Do
- Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality, while providing excellent service internally and externally. We are building a technology-powered marketplace to connect talent with opportunity.
- In this role, you will work as an Engineering Manager within the Technology department leading a full stack team. You will manage up to 10 engineers providing mentoring and coaching and maintaining innovative processes that monitor the health of the engineering team.
- Manage engineers:
- Manage team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Mentor and coach the engineers and ensure their success
- Encourage and promote best engineering practices
- Encourage a data-driven culture to improve the efficiency, scalability, and stability of our products
- Support engineers in identifying, resolving and escalating issues that impact their work
- Manage and track engineers on performance and career development
- Provide technical leadership and guidance:
- Unblock engineers on complex issues via pair programming and design sessions
- Review architecture and design design approaches for the engineering team
- Provide scoping and estimation feedback to the business
- Make technology choices working with the team members
- Drive issue resolution and ensure production system uptime
- Manage, measure and improve engineering processes:
- Continuously improves Andelas software development lifecycle processes
- Improve release planning and sprint execution
- Drive prioritization and issue resolution approaches
- Refine onboarding and offboarding processes for engineering team members
- Collaborate with key stakeholders within and across department:
- Ensure collaboration with Engineer leadership and across Engineering teams
- Advocate for and ensure prioritization of technical initiatives working with Product Managers.
- Engage with users and key stakeholders to understand problems and requirements
- Recruit talent:
- Identify potential candidates that best fit our roles (e.g. team leads, senior engineers)
- Interview and evaluate prospective talent to ensure fit
- Facilitate onboarding of new hires
- Support budget alignment and monitoring and adherence of responsibilities.
- Highly-technical software engineer and an effective people manager
- 5-7 years of software development experience
- 3+ years experience managing and growing software engineering teams as a people manager
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- A strong desire to mentor developers
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have strong leadership skills.
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
What Technologies You’ll Work With
We are building advanced applications using modern tools and technologies. Our primary app is Node-based. On the backend we have a multi-tier architecture, utilizing PostgreSQL, NestJs, GraphQL, and Typescript. On the frontend we use Angular 10. The platform is deployed to Google Cloud Platform (GCP), using a modern CI/CD pipeline (Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, CodeClimate). Our tools and technologies are as follows:
- GraphQL based web services
- NestJS application framework
- Angular 10
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud-based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate.
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Great perks and thoughtful approaches to remote work
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better.
Method of Application
Note: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Interested and qualified? Go to Andela on boards.greenhouse.io to apply