CFCV No.: CFCV2019/60
Location: Home-based with Travels to the field
Organizational Unit: Immigration & Border Management
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 14 working days within a duration of 5 months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the supervision of the IBM Senior Program Manager, the successful candidate will work as an IT Technical Consultant on the IOM projects portfolio “MIDAS Expansion at Air Borders in Nigeria,” funded by the Governments of Canada, implemented in collaboration with the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).
- Through the project, IOM in collaboration with NIS will additionally expand MIDAS to equip more passenger processing points at two international airports namely Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja and Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos as well as to set the foundations for the required integration/interfaces with other relevant data systems.
- The main objective of this contract is to engage the services of a Technical Expert to carry out a holistic review of IT network installations at the airports and provide detailed specifications on best practices in the management of equipment and infrastructure at these airports. This is to ensure smooth connectivity at the airports for the Nigeria Immigration Service IT overall networking infrastructure.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Conducting a technical assessment which reviews the existing technical/ICT infrastructure of the local/ national MIDAS network. Assessment will analyse existing IT-related networking infrastructure, equipment and models, management, processes, and performance relevant to system integrations/interfacing requirements. Identify gaps and opportunities for improvement with a comprehensive review and recommendations on current state of existing network:
- Time commitment: 2 working days
- Provide detailed and well-labelled network diagrams for the local and national architecture, while also identifying shortfalls of the systems/network model. Proffer solutions to identified pitfalls and provide a cost-benefit analysis of solutions proffered:
- Time commitment: 6 working days
- Carry out onsite maintenance (passive and active) practical training for selected NIS officers. The training materials must be professionally developed and submitted as part of the report:
- Time commitment: 2 working days
- Review network equipment available/ required for flexible network expansion, and proffer best connections mechanisms, for reducing data lag and losses while accommodating extra passenger points, with corresponding support equipment for effective, neat deployment:
- Time commitment: 1 day
- Advise on best practices in management and maintenance of equipment and infrastructure in a clearly labelled matrix, identifying current management and recommended optimal management practices. Current Architecture should have score based (0-10) in contrast to best practice index (0 -10):
- Time commitment: 1 day
- Provide expert advice and support in the preparation of tender documents for future publication for supply and deployment of additional information technology-related activities (networking, computer models and specs, network devices, etc):
- Time commitment: 2 days
- Carry out maintenance work whenever such is requested
Tangible and Measurable Output of the Work Assignment:
- Interim report based on Task #1, #3.
- Interim specific site reports as work progresses, based on Task #2,4.
- Detailed technical specifications for IOM’s subsequent bid or tender procurement of the equipment based on Task #2 #4.
- Detailed recommendations for best practices as well as matrix based on Task #5.
- Detailed site reports with full technical specifications and equipment recommendations for each site and other pertinent information based on Tasks #1 and #5.
- Specification of training regimen for NIS staff (on-site and off-site) who will be responsible for maintenance of equipment based on Tasks #3, #5. A manual guide (audio/video and digital manual) is expected as a deliverable.
- Summary and final report highlighting common issues including technical, training and maintenance issues based on Tasks #5 and #6.
- Adherence to agreed schedule of activities
- Timely production of reports
- Respectful and cooperative approach with NIS and other concerned counterparts
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Information Technology other related majors, advanced university level would be an advantage.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience, preferably in the field of networking and ICT maintenance
- Proficiency in English
- Must be a permanent resident in Nigeria or must have lived in Nigeria for more than one-year e. Sound knowledge of Nigeria, as well as experience in working with inverter installations and power/ electrical systems f. Have a network certification, preferably Cisco
- Extensive knowledge on system maintenance and installation
- Excellent social and inter-cultural skills.
- Ability to work with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to analyze and interpret source information and data. Analytical thinker and an eye for details.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, empathy, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking, and organized.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English; working knowledge of Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo is advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Women are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line CFCV2019/60 Consultant (IBM/Technical Advisor (Network IT).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).