Duration: Twelve (12) months
Period: 1 November 2020 – 31 October 2021
Commonwealth Youth Human Right and Democracy Network (CYHRDN)
- The CYHRDN is inclusive of all young champions of human rights in the commonwealth, where young people lead and promote the values and principles set out in the commonwealth charter. The CYHRDN raises awareness on the need to make Human Rights and Democracy relevant to the youth in the Commonwealth, and to identify convening spaces to involve youth in tackling the challenges of human rights and democracy.
- The network realises the urgency of human rights awareness and recognise the growing concern by young people of the number of insecurities, conflict and unstable developments within their communities. The network recognises that human rights are the rights and freedoms that belong to all human beings and that there is a strong need for young people to robustly engage and contribute to strengthening human rights and advancing democracy in all corners of the Commonwealth.
- Discrimination, Disability Rights, Domestic Violence Election Monitoring and political participation are the focus areas with which the CYHRDN will ensure to support the SDGs, in particular SDG 16 that reflects on building peaceful and just societies.
- CYHRDN is searching for their next Coordinator to support its executive team for year 2020 – 2021. We are inviting applications from young and suitably qualified individuals who are passionate about promoting and improving Human Rights and Democracy efforts across the Commonwealth and an independent and reliable do-er who is able to manage and execute projects professionally.
Key Deliverables & Responsibility:
- The main role of the CYHRDN Network Coordinator is to support the executive team of the network, coordinate and support the Human Rights and Democracy work of the Network across the Commonwealth, with a focus on the administration content/output of the network.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee the daily affairs of CYHRDN (administratively) and keeping up logistical arrangements of the network including supporting the Executive team and their initiatives in their region, regular calls or direct mentoring and support;
- Enhance Commonwealth youth participation in Human Right and Democracy development and opportunities by co-ordinating their engagement and facilitate increased visibility in policy discussion and meetings at the Commonwealth and United Nations level;
- Strengthening the global advocacy and campaigns of the network, convening capacity building trainings for youth human rights leaders, research and thought leadership on emerging priorities for youth-led human rights and
- democracy across the Commonwealth, providing guidance to the leadership team to understand their roles and ensure they are regularly engaged;
- Supporting mainstreaming of youth perspectives in the Commonwealth’s work on Human Rights and Democracy, and working with the Commonwealth Secretariat as is necessary regarding International Human Rights Day processes and beyond, preparation for any emerging areas of work;
- Support and coordinate the formation and engagement of a young, diverse and active Executive Team;
- Support the strengthening of communication, partnerships and collaboration with the Commonwealth Secretariat, Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC), Commonwealth Youth Networks, and other stakeholders as directed;
- Increase visibility, outreach, inclusion and membership of CYHRDN;
- Maintain frequent and consistent communication with the assigned staff(s) from the Commonwealth Secretariat managing the network, this includes ensuring regular updates of the network’s work and also sharing of opportunities and announcements to all members of the network.
- Support the handover and transition of responsibilities to the new CYHRDN Executive team. This should be done in close coordination with the current CYHRDN Executive Team and the Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Be aged between 18 to 29 years at the time of application;
- Be a citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- Have a strong commitment to CYHRDN’s vision and mission;
- Have experience with youth-led initiatives, projects or organisations focused on human rights and democracy;
- Be available to commit 18 hours per week to network activities.
Compulsory & Desirable Skills
- The candidate should possess excellent administrative and people skills, ability to coordinate/support meetings, write publications, policy papers, support research and thematic policy areas
Project Management & Implementation:
- The candidate should be able to commit the time required, at ~18 hours per week
- Possess project management/project delivery skills, support partnerships development, implementation track record, build stakeholders/network relationships & strategic planning
- Candidate should be able to demonstrate resourcefulness
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate his/her network in the relevant space
- The candidate should also to account and share for the skills to grow a community and network, beyond personal networks.
Compulsory Characteristic & Personality
- The candidate should demonstrate commitment and perseverance
Diversity and Inclusion:
- The candidate should be able to show interest and past experience working in diverse teams and on diversity and inclusion matters.
- The candidate should be able to show exemplary people management and teamwork skills, be able to build relationships and be the liaison between the commonwealth Secretariat and the Executive team of the Network.
- The candidate should be organised, diplomatic and emotionally intelligent.
- The selected candidates will work remotely and will receive a monthly stipend.
- A nominal honorarium will be provided for this role
Click here for more information (PDF)
Method of Application
Do note that the form will require you to upload documents but not limited to the following:
- A cover letter outlining your experience
- 1 reference letter from a reputable and relevant referee
- Contact details to your reference
Interested and qualified? Go to The Commonwealth on docs.google.com to apply