Category: Program Management
- Creative seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for the upcoming USAID-funded Northeast ConNEction activity. The purpose of the two-year program will be to strengthen the resilience of communities vulnerable to violent extremist infiltration and conflict. By targeting communities not yet under the control of violent extremist organizations (VEOs), this activity will seize the opportunity to mitigate the grievances that make communities vulnerable to violent extremism, while building social cohesion within and across communities in northeast Nigeria.
- In addition to helping northeastern Nigerians create a stronger foundation against the violent extremist and conflict threats, the activity is designed to develop local capacity to respond to emerging threats. In order to enable flexible and adaptive management of the activity in a complex environment, the activity includes a focused effort on research and analysis of the threats and coordination around programmatic opportunities and responses.
- The exact location for this position is TBD, but successful candidates must be agreeable to frequent travel to the Northeast, with the potential to be permanently based there.
Reporting and Supervision:
- The COP reports to the HQ-based Practice Area Director or designee.
- The COP will be the principal point of contact in Nigeria for procedural and substantive matters. The COP will coordinate and ultimately be responsible for all contract management and implementation.
- The COP will be the primary liaison with USAID/Nigeria on technical matters and must adjust programs and operations in response to USAID/Nigeria technical direction.
- The COP will be responsible for responding to the designated COR and USAID/Nigeria’s Contracting Officer.
- The COP will also be responsible for ensuring quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the award.
- The COP’s primary responsibilities are aimed at providing overall leadership, management, and general technical direction of the entire activity, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the award.
- This individual will be expected to identify issues and risks related to activity implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, etc. However, five (5) additional years of relevant international development experience can be substituted for the Master’s degree;
- At least ten (10) years of demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of international development activities, with preference given to democracy and governance activities under a U.S. Government instrument;
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in senior program management, including direct supervision of professional and support staff;
- Experience in developing and managing multi-sectoral, multi-donor-funded programs;
- Experience working in the democracy and governance sector in Africa;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to think strategically and communicate his/her vision to partners and colleagues;
- Proven experience navigating complex and high-pressure operating environments;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with different donors, civil society organizations and host country government counterparts; and
- Willingness to travel or be based in Northeastern Nigeria.
Method of Application
- Local and regional candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
- Position contingent upon donor funding.
Interested and qualified? Go to Creative Associates International on global-creative.icims.com to apply