Job ID: 1634-679
Job Type: Full-Time / Regular
Job Category: Global Public Health
Supervisory Responsibilities: Country staff, Technical specialists, Finance & admin resources, etc.
- The Chief of Party is the Country lead management position for the Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) Program, a Cooperative Agreement between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United States Pharmacopeia (USP)
- The Chief of Party provides overall in-country leadership for strategy, management, and program implementation to achieve the PQM+ goal towards sustainably strengthening medical product quality assurance systems
- (S)he ensures consistent, effective, and compliant country program operations and the timely delivery of products that meet work plan objectives that are aligned with the priority needs of the country quality assurance systems and stakeholders’ expectations
- The Chief of Party serves as the primary liaison with USAID, relevant government agencies, and key stakeholders to ensure achievement of program deliverables, and to ensure that PQM+ activities complement on-going initiatives
- The Chief of Party will manage a team of staff in achieving program results while maintaining operational excellence. This position is contingent upon funding being awarded.
Roles and Responsibilities
Program Leadership and Oversight (50%):
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight for overall management of the PQM+ country program. This includes but is not limited to leading program design and developing work plans, leading overall implementation of project activities, and setting performance targets to meet priority needs of the country quality assurance systems and stakeholders’ expectations;
- Lead the implementation of program activities, monitor program progress, account for deliverables, monitor that the implementation of PQM+ activities are of high quality, and produce timely quarterly and annual progress reports;
- Accountable for the overall program operations, financial and contractual management, and compliance with USAID regulations;
- Oversees the accuracy, clarity, and quality of progress reports and other project documentation necessary for USAID reporting, ensuring they are completed in accordance with USAID and USP policies and procedures and submitted in a timely manner;
- In conjunction with program leadership, is instrumental in facilitating country startup, including mission buy-in, staffing, and logistics;
- Oversea all human resources and personnel management issues and tasks, including recruitment, onboarding of local staff and performance management to ensure compliance of established policies and procedures
- Manage teams of in-country and HQ staff to accomplish technical excellence in the delivery of program activities and in the M&E, learning, and communication of program results;
- Supervise a team of technical, program management and operations staff and ensure strong communication and coordination with PQM+ management and other relevant USP Rockville-based staff.
Stakeholder Engagement (30%):
- Provide leading voice for advocacy on medicines quality assurance systems strengthening by active participation in national committees, advisory groups, and contribute to formulation of national policies in pharmaceuticals;
- Represent the PQM+ Program and increase the program’s visibility among key stakeholders through networking and active participation at relevant meetings and forums; engage with other Implementing Partners to take advantage of opportunities for leveraging existing initiatives and sharing of best practices;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with senior government officials, head of Agencies, leaders of pharmaceutical associations, donors, and other in-country stakeholders;
- Responsible for USAID relationship management, serving as PQM+ representative to USAID mission.
Risk Management (20%):
- Reviews and implements USP PQM+ policies, procedures and practices; recommends improvements to processes and controls to improve compliance and mitigate risks
- Monitors and promotes compliance within country staff (e.g., through quarterly check-ins focused on issues and risks), flagging and mitigating potential risks early
- Proactively raises any risks to USP PQM+ leadership team, helping to identify resolution, and developing strategies to mitigate future issues
- Master’s Degree in a Health-related field required
- Minimum of 10+ years of professional experience managing programs with relevant stakeholders including NAFDAC, PCN, WHO, and/or UNICEF
- Demonstrated Knowledge of USAID rules, regulations and reporting requirements
- Deep understanding of pharmaceutical management issues in public health programs and challenges for meeting global health objectives.
- Ph.D in health-related field
- Expertise in health systems strengthening preferred.
- Physician, Pharmacist, or other health profession qualification highly desirable
- Extensive experience leading effective, timely, and quality implementation of donor-funded (particularly USAID-funded) global health or international development projects
- Significant experience working with high level officials in USAID and country governments
- Existing relationships with key donors and implementing partners working on health and pharmaceutical systems strengthening preferred
- Strong people management skills, including of virtual, matrixed teams
- Excellent client relationship management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in cross-cultural settings
- Ability to demonstrate highest degree of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel up to 25% time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to US Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) on usp.jobs to apply.