*CALL FOR APPLICATION – RESEARCH CONSULTANTS ON GENDER BASED VIOLENCE*
Youth Alive Foundation (YAF) is a youth-focused NGO that seeks to play a part in facilitating a just, equitable and progressive society in which young people (male and female) can have access to social and economic opportunities and protect their basic human and political rights.
YAF is making this call for consultants under its Safeguarding Against Violence and Exploitation of girls and women (SAVE) Intervention. Under this program, YAF is undertaking a project to reduce the
violence against Girls and Young Women in Nigeria by strengthening the implementation of legislation to end violence against women and girls in Nigeria
The *SAVE* project intends to build a broad-based multi-stakeholder coalition that will champion state and national campaigns and advocacy to prevent violence against women and girls in four (4) states
and the FCT. It also seeks to strengthen the capacity of relevant actors on violence against girls and young women and strengthen legal and policy frameworks and its implementation.
The project locations are Lagos,Imo,Akwa Ibom,Cross River States and the FCT.
There are 2 consultancies which this call seeks applications for:
*1. Baseline Research*
*2. Policy and Legal framework research*
Consultancy 1: Baseline Research
To help understand the problem of GBV in Nigeria, and particularly in target states, Youth Alive Foundation and Partners seeks to undertake a study of the knowledge, attitudes and practices (KAP) related to GBV in the country. This study aims to collect baseline information across a 4 states and the FCT about current KAP regarding GBV, sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and gender norms among key populations, host communities and girls/women. Forms and manifestations of violence against girls and women vary depending on the specific social, economic, cultural and political context in target states. The baseline will also provide information on types and prevalence of violence in target locations and the cultural and social norms that drive these practices.
Scope of Work
The research methodology will utilize both primary and secondary sources. Primary research will rely on both quantitative and qualitative data, interviewing women and girls 16 years and over. A household survey will be conducted designed to produce representative statistics for populations in communities, using two-stage cluster sampling, while snowball sampling will be used an appropriate sampling strategy for Girls/Women. The study will also utilize key informant interviews with stakeholders from the national level and state level to capture high-level dynamics of GBV as well as stakeholders operating within target communities to draw from local-level experiences.
The consultant is expected to:
Conduct a baseline for the project in target states including:
- Survey Girls, women, men and boys (Knowledge, Attitudes, Behaviours, Perceptions)
- Key Informant interviews with key stakeholders
- Focus groups with girls and women
The specific outputs will be:
- Electronic copy of the Final Report
- All hard copies of completed surveys.
- Electronic files of photos taken during data collection,
- A power point presentation on the baseline
Consultancy 2: Policy and Legal Framework Research
This study aims to help fill the gap in knowledge on the effectiveness of national and state laws, policies and institutional frameworks in supporting the prevention and response to gender-based violence in target states. Key methodology is the review of secondary data and key informant interviews.
Scope of Work
- Conduct stakeholder analysis to determine the level of support for the domestication and implementation of the VAPP Act, CRA and other relevant laws and policies on violence against women and girls in the target states.
- Map existing legal and policy frameworks in states to identify gaps and produce policy briefs for legislators and the media.
- Map stakeholders across the states and provide a third-party analysis on Violence against girls and young women in Nigeria prevention mechanisms.
- A report on stakeholders and analysis of Violence against girls and young women in the target states.
- A situational analysis report on the level of support and action by stakeholders for the domestication and implementation of the VAPP Act, CRA, and other relevant laws and policies on violence against women and girls in the target states.
- A policy briefs for each state on gaps around existing legal and policy frameworks in the target states.
CONSULTANT’S EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- The consultant is expected to have the following experiences and competencies:
- Proven previous works done around gender-based violence or other relevant fields
- Ability to work under tight deadlines yet being able to deliver quality and timely results.
- Capacity to work in the target states within the specified timeline
- For the legal and policy research, proven experience in policy analysis and / or the legal field is required.
Method of Application
Qualified and Interested applicants should send a technical and financial proposal to [email protected] and copy [email protected]
The application must contain the following
A cover letter indicating suitability for the job.
A comprehensive consultancy history with 2 professional referees (Valid email address and phone numbers of referees must be included).
Any other document that can support the application e.g. a detailed report of similar consultancy done.
The subject of the email should indicate which of the consultancies you are applying for “Consultancy for Baseline Research” or “Consultancy for Legal and Policy Research ”
Duration of Contract: 30 working days (October 2020 – November 2020)
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted